Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Empowered Nerd.

Womens lives are most in danger in abusive intimate partner relationships when she decides to leave him.

This feeling of entitlement to possess and control women is very patriarchal.

Late to the thread and not been right through, so sorry if this was posted before, but was just reading this article about Kevin Smith movies that overlaps some relevant territory from the dawn of the internet:

Chasing Amy and the toxic “nerd masculinity” of the nineties
    https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/.../16/the-big-i/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl Kraft For This Useful Post:

This is an excellent read - From geek masculinity to Gamergate: the technological rationality of online abuse

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...NYOUrw.twitter

As I said when I began this essay, because I work in comics, video games, and animation, I’ve watched 4chan grow from a group of people who could fit inside a single room to a worldwide collective.

But I should also note there’s another reason I was there from the beginning. It’s because, like so many young writers, journalists, and artists that are now despised by 4chan, I’m an inch away from their demographic.

When my father died after I left college in 2004, the last of my family’s wealth evaporated. And ever since then, I have lived well below the poverty line. (Even now, though I work as a Professor, this is true). But I had the benefit of an education.

It was not too difficult for me to imagine an alternate version of myself that didn’t happen to have that. Like the men in those studies, I drifted unemployed and unemployable for many years in my 20s. Often when I did have a job, I quit, realizing that, in fact, laboring behind the counter in the service economy for minimum wage paid less than sitting at home idle in front of my PC, waiting for a gig in the gig economy, posting and selling comics, or trading virtual items in online games.

And I knew, I was on balance, luckier than most. My private school and private college education was the deviation from the norm. My chances were better than the majority of people my age. Yet here I was stone broke. All I owned (and still own) is my college debt. So it wasn’t a surprise there were a teeming mass of people out there who knew with fatalistic certainty that there was no way out. Why not then retreat into your parents’ basements? And instead of despairing over trying and failing, celebrate not-trying? Celebrate retreating into the fantasy worlds of the computer. Steer into the skid — Pepe style. Own it. And why wouldn’t they retreat to a place like 4chan? To let their resentment and failures curdle into something solid?

https://medium.com/@DaleBeran/4chan-...8cb#.byjqmxo8y

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Probably the fundamental way to distinguish Luke's view of life and my own is by comparing our favorite films.

The Matrix vs Ghostbusters
    I forgot about this. Is this why you hate Bill Murray, luka, or is it the other way around?