The Empowered Nerd.

luka

i was saying this on facebook the other day. i think the new empowered entitled nerd is a blight on our times. its especially posioned the interent. nerds were ok when they just shunned society and played role playing games together in closed communities. now theyre martin skhrkel or whatever.
theyre politics are gross. they are physically and morally repulsive. i think we must eradicate them.

luka

they have poor personal hygeine and they make memes all day and form packs to attack that woman off of the ghostbusters film. theyre faux leather chair that they sit in to play computer is all wet with sweat. they dont read good books only science fiction and they play computer games too much.

luka

how do we wipe them off the internet and force them out of the public spehere where they do not belong and back into closed rpg playing communties? it is one of the most pressing issues facing us today.

luka

no sense of civic duty or social resposibility. give them money and they just want to splurge it on some bug dumb sci fi fantasy like xray glasses or a mechwarrior suit.

luka

theyre vision is limited. its a microfocus brain. good for computer programming but terrible for understanding the world. but they equate programming ability with intelliegence. like that is the sole meausre for braininess. if you can stare at a screen for 15 hours making micro adjustments to a field of abstract symbols. thats basically just accountancy. before computers became so important thats what we let them do. accounts. now they think they are special.
i dont mind the traditional ones that just snuffle about in basements and dont bother anyone. they smell but theyre harmless. im just talking about the empowered ones.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
how do we wipe them off the internet and force them out of the public spehere where they do not belong and back into closed rpg playing communties? it is one of the most pressing issues facing us today.

LoL you are hilarious sometimes

I tend to think this is what these alt right guys are. That guy who wanted to shoot up a sorority house. Breivik, too - big World of Warcraft player.

But then theres the kind of nerd who plays Mario Maker and has a beard and is jovial and witty. The post adolescent nerd, perhaps?

luka

Yes, we need a taxonomy of nerds. The empowered nerd is maybe not the correct term. But it's a specific type of nerd I want to eradicate not the jovial real ale drinking fedora wearing terry pratchet reading ones you refer to.

luka

It's where a psychological process of compensation creates a self identification as ubermensch.

CrowleyHead

At this point all the nerds aren't worth their weight.

In the 21st century, everyone has a pursuit/interest/source of pleasure that's slightly 'nerdy'. Few true and living "ALPHAS" in the cartoon corny sense exist; one of my last roommates was a Marine, conservative, number of girlfriends. Still kept up religiously with Gam o Throns.

So first off, popularity deems a pursuit not nerdy, but its a lark. "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" make millions, but they're undoubtedly nerdy. Every bookstore chain in America carries Dungeons & Dragons games or the board games like Catan, but they're nerdy. Game Of Thrones, arguably one of the 20 most watched TV shows in the world, nerdy. But nobody's a nerd because everybody's a nerd. Even sports have nerds who crunch stats and bicker constantly about the values of players, while additionally sometimes competing in fantasy ____ball where you ignore the actual win/loss of the game and focus on your favorites performances overall.

The only true nerd pursuits it seems to be are the ones you can't make accessible to everyone. When its inconvenient and unnecessary, there you get a certain level of dedication that cuts one from the cloth. Those nerds are already pursuing something focused and intense, so you rarely see them act out on society in aggression and malignance. Its the ones who are bored by their pursuits.

A good case and point is Shkreli. He was a former music 'nerd', enough that his interests were as disparate as being the ghost funder for an emo musician's 'indie' label and that Wu-Tang album debacle. His biggest fundamental flaw was that his career kept him from truly dedicating himself and sacrificing success, but the way he was able to buy and invest in music on such a bigger scale than most makes him flip and trivial about the actual value. A 'nerd' would probably have tried to found a label on credit, sign bands, threaten the security of his job or his wealth, truly go ALL IN and lose sight of the bigger picture.

CrowleyHead

Those have no meaning anymore. Geek and Nerd are used interchangeably to the point their distinction is impossible to determine, and both have too many parallels to isolate entirely. Dork is having behavioral mistakes, being a 'goof' etc. Its also become the status quo too, everyone is 'awkward', 'quirky', 'random' and thereby nobody really holds any distinction in being so.

droid

The Hoi Polloi may not see the differences, but to the experienced eye they glint like spider eyes in torchlight.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You must differentiate between nerd, geek & dork.

Those have no meaning anymore. Geek and Nerd are used interchangeably to the point their distinction is impossible to determine, and both have too many parallels to isolate entirely.

geeks_and_nerds.png

The fact that I instantly knew where to go for this diagram probably speaks volumes.

Agreed, though, that dorkishness is primarily about poor social skills. You can be a dork without having any notably nerdlike tendencies, in fact.

droid

geeks_and_nerds.png

The fact that I instantly knew where to go for this diagram probably speaks volumes.

Id just like to point out that I have, once again, enmeshed tea in a web of misdirection, psychological manipulation and mind control.