this article is a bit dumb.

luka

White house DJs and producers owe millions of dollars in recognition and royalties to black musicians who came before them. What you’re about to hear is how one tribe of house producers got away with and continue to get away with theft.

CrowleyHead

Yeah I got four eye-rolls in before I tossed it out.

If you have to make puns to make points, you're kind of devaluing your argument to get something out of it. Especially if they're bitter ones.

CrowleyHead

Also the trajectory of Snap! is wrong, they actually ripped off their bits from a Mark The 45 King production for Chill Rob G. Its literally no different beyond rapper so is the melanin-sufficient Mark now devoid of the 'feeling' and thereby an anomaly his flawless formula?

hint

party record with a siren
Also the trajectory of Snap! is wrong, they actually ripped off their bits from a Mark The 45 King production for Chill Rob G. Its literally no different beyond rapper so is the melanin-sufficient Mark now devoid of the 'feeling' and thereby an anomaly his flawless formula?

I don't think that's right. The beat didn't originate with 45 King. It's Mantronix who should get a credit for the beat, if anything.

The 45 King production credit is because Snap sampled a Chill Rob G acapella. Wild Pitch found out about it and released it as a Chill Rob G track, produced by Power Jam (who were actually Snap under another name).

Then the final Snap version had new raps and re-recorded hooks to get round sample and performance / promotion issues I guess.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

articles like this will always get some airtime thanks to the history of the industry, myths, lies, bunkum, racism, poor contracts, etc etc.

even when the facts dont weigh up, all the above just comes back and it doesnt matter anymore. its an emotional response.

the thing i often think about articles like this is yes, robyn saying shes a dancehall queen is kind of weird, diplo will always be better known than any dancehall producers he works with or has borrowed from (the same way most white people prob prefer eminem to other rappers), but this idea that black artists arent getting coverage, arent making money, etc is just weird. you look at sites like pitchfork or whatever, there is no dearth of black artists being featured. i wouldnt be surprised if white artists make more money than their black counterparts (though then again, its not like beyonce, kanye, or jay-z are in the poor house), but to act like black artists are all somehow being neglected is kind of odd.

check out what black house producers in particular like DJ Rashad (RIP), MNEK, and Good Junk are capable of

wasnt aware rashad made house.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

If you want to argue the point that juke comes out of house so by default it is. By that same right dubstep's house so its 'funny', but there's a trajectory.

CrowleyHead

I'm just saying, you could do it if you wanted, lol.

Kind of like whenever you drive, you could always say "I didn't actually go anywhere, the car moved me" or "I went to the store". Same result. Semantical genre stuff for when you have tunnel vision or you're bored.