Techno Techno Techno Techno

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You know what you're right there the early techno (stuff like Beltram esp.) is tearing...

As boring as I find a lot of techno to listen to I'm conscious that it's very functional music (not a diss) and if you're not hearing it at full blast while on a pinger you're probably not hearing it properly. 🤷

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
pretty much i would contest the pinger assumption but hey I'm an unreconstructed dirty commie with a massive prroblem w club cultures normalisation of drugs.

MDMA is shit as well after the first two or so times.

It's that minimal abstract funk feel for me. When done right and at the right time at the right speed etc there really isn't much better. hypnotic — real trance music.

Last edited:

luka

techno is much better on drugs. really makes it come alive. probably the music that is most improved by chemicals imo. never been to a techno club though.

entertainment

I don't know shit about jungle and like any of my friends and music interested peers, I wasn't there for it. Which is probably why I don't really get it. However, I do find the concept of genre stasis pretty interesting when the genre (from what I can tell) isn't actively gatekept by obnoxious would-be authorities and stuck-in-the-past ravers. What really causes it to disconnect from its surrounding temporal movement then? As far as I can tell, it's not the lack of prospective "good" musical paths and directions either.

My outside-looking-in guess would be, that the music is just completely inseparable from the surrounding cultural, political and social conditions of its inception and subsequent culmination. Is it possible that these things areso encoded in its dna and instrumental to its purpose, that listening to the music now becomes dependant on the degree to which it recalls the past world? Not really talking about nostalgia here, as much as a need to stay connected with certain elements, that maintain the genre's existential sanity.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
We're talking about genres that are 30 years old tbh, with a limited (dj specific) sound palette.

there's not much to explore in dance music as a whole anymore.

too much arpy melodic content and it just ends up removing the friction and grit.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
techno is much better on drugs. really makes it come alive. probably the music that is most improved by chemicals imo. never been to a techno club though.

trance. as shit as it is, those massive breakdowns sound epic when you're pingered.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's that minimal abstract funk feel for me

inspired by this I listened to the Carl Craig Psyche/BFC comp after not listening to any techno in forever, and enjoyed it immensely, thanks

minimal abstract funk is a perfect description of at least the classic Detroit and Detroit-inspired side of techno, I think

speaking of real trance music...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
getting blazed + riding a bike around the city at night

the roots of trance is actually pretty great - Torsten Fenslau, Exist Dance, early Psychic Warriors of Gaia, etc as well as all the EBM, New Beat etc

too bad it all went so wrong

I can't help but feel a perverse fondness for all that shitty wrong euro stuff up to a point (binary finary 1998, blank and jones cream etc.) progressive house/trance is truly one of the most tedious things on the planet tho.

That bleep43 roots of trance mix is a stone cold winner. check it.

padraig (u.s.)

the Bleep43 thing also looks cool, will check

the pre-codification, liminal, wot do u call it phase is usually the most interesting, but especially for trance

I mean trance music as an idea! kinda related to what we were talking to in the ambient thread about the drone + the drum as the oldest human music

when trance was an idea rather than a (terrible) genre; psychedelic electronic dance music

padraig (u.s.)

have really been getting into some techno lately, largely inspired by this thread. old Detroit faves, wild Hague + Italian 90s acid, some new things

there are some great records in that L.I.E.S. etc (Sandwell, Bio Rhythm, Cititrax) techno/ebm/industrial/noise aesthetic. probably not news to any real techno people.

one of the most amazing things I've heard in a while, random lone Belgian genius ca. 1990 at the nexus of EBM/New Beat, rhythmic noise, industrial, + harsh techno, "analog dancecore" as he calls it. a record that just seems impossible, like the Charanjit Singh acid raga record.

padraig (u.s.)

ofc everyone knows "Surkit" from Apollo Two if nothing else, and it's a 100% canonical Detroit jam, but this dude released an LP like 6 years ago that is also great

padraig (u.s.)

also interested in recommendations in Sandwell District, L.I.E.S, etc vein. I gather it's been a big trend + there's a lot of it around, so recs from knowledgeable people would be cool.