Kuedo - Slow Knife (Planet Mu)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:44zPkqjFMaGwzzUD5BiTSf" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...kcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">Slow Knife by Kuedo</a></iframe>

I'm reviewing this for Crack, so I've had plenty of time to theorise about it, but what is more important than any theorising is that I listened to it twice without any break while stoned and it took me through a wormhole.

It starts off very much like 'Severant', all melancholy and grand, like the opening crane shot in 'Blade Runner', and then it turns brutal and abrasive. It's a fascinating album IMO and MO is more informed than YO by marijuana in the dark. I cannot stress enough that the ideal state to listen to this album in is (probably intoxicated) in the dark.

Dissensus was in favour of the first album so let's see how the second goes down.

Some stuff it reminded me of:

MICA LEVI - LOVE (from UNDER THE SKIN OST)

BRIAN ENO - LANTERN MARSH (and all of ON LAND)

TRENT REZNOR - WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO EACH OTHER? (and all of GONE GIRL OST - though KUEDZ tells me he has never seen this movie)

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

not heard it more than once or twice on the tube and at work so less than ideal conditions but it didnt seem brutal to me.

seemed much more ambient actually.

luka

album is jarring as fuck youre obviously trolling the poor boy at this point

rubberdingyrapids

album is jarring as fuck youre obviously trolling the poor boy at this point

some of it is jarring, i.e. the section i already mentioned

the majority of the rest however, is like the last one, but without much in the way of pronounced rhythm

its more like him trying to do something closer to his inspirations

ie mostly without the drums, and more ambient

love theme for instance is not something i would call 'jarring'

TBH im not denying the arca-ish sounds on here, bits of highly controlled ugliness (so maybe actually not that ugly after all), but overall, theyre just scattered within tracks that arent quite disturbing enough to merit being brutal or jarring, theyre just slightly discomforting

i like this album but its not as good as severant, it sort of washes away in the background

Last edited:

luka

Yeah, it did sound inconsequential to me too, but then again I was drinking a beer and eating some crisps in daylight and skunk might put a different slant on it

rubberdingyrapids

i think its a damp squib after severant BUT as mentioned above, i confess i have only heard it on crappy iphone earphones, not while smoking or drinking anything, nor in the bath, but i am at home this evening, so might try it with all three

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
LoL I like the way more and more conditions are being attached for optimum listening.

You must take a medium to large dose of LSD, lie in a warm bath, surrounded by candles, and carve a pentagram into your chest. THEN you'll give it five stars.

rubberdingyrapids

blade runner is preposterously overrated.

kuedo should soundtrack something though.

he should get put in touch with ti west or someone like that. or the people who make stranger things.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think he already does, actually: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2016/10/kuedo-interview

'The soundtrack project that I got into most deeply was for Metahaven’s film The Sprawl, which was the first time that I got to move beyond a 15- to 30-second advert and towards something that was of the form that I listen to most. I’m most intrigued by the soundtrack as a set piece, as a musical idiom. It dominates my listening.'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You can wait for it to go on their website.

I peeked at it and I'm instantly embarrassed by the Kafka quotation.

(That's worth mentioning cos luka won't know what it is for a few weeks and can imagine all sorts of things.)