DOOM, or The Official 2016 US Election Thread

droid

It's like Iraq in '03. An appalling decision everyone knew would have disastrous global consequences but which you were entirely helpless to prevent.

vimothy

yurp
The American political and media class are wrong about almost everything. It makes sense to bet against them.

vimothy

yurp
On the plus side: LOLs at liberals in my timeline.

On the minus: Potential global upheaval/depression/war.

So, swings and roundabouts.

(...)

What’s slightly galling is the lack of self-reflection from people who played a huge part in this. It makes me sad how ruthlessly the US media tore apart a gentleman like Mitt Romney, how they’ve cried wolf repeatedly and how the term ‘white’ has become used as a term of insult in the identity-politics obsessed US media. Tell people over and over again that they are moral deviants tainted by ancestral guilt who will soon be a minority in their own country – and deserve it – what’d do you expect?

(...)

Trump is also the triumph of identity politics. For years the punditry have been saying that the GOP is finished because America is becoming more diverse, failing to see that since the Democrats win through identity politics, then Republicans could also play that game. Back in 2000 the blogger Steve Sailer observed that the Republicans could win with the low-hanging fruit of a white middle-class increasingly alienated by the Democratic Party’s ‘coalition of the fringes’, and he seems to have been proved right.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/donald-trump-played-identity-politics-game-won/

droid

Shouldve listened to Chomsky.

CwzsYfmXAAAP7J3.jpg

Attachments

• CwzsYfmXAAAP7J3.jpg
    CwzsYfmXAAAP7J3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 6

firefinga

You'll see it was the disappointed white working class plus the absent black vote (at least partly bc they didn't Profit from Obama's presidency ) that pushed Trump over the edge. Yeah, well done - that "Statement against the liberal elite" put the illiberal elite into Power.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I suppose congratulations are in order, however begrudging.

attachment.php

Attachments

• memed.jpg
    memed.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 37

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Chomsky OTM except for the 'honest' part. Though Trump is arguably honest about being a crook.

I read something somewhere about how Trump has succeeded because, while he lies through his teeth all the time, he does sometimes tell the truth, and they're very uncomfortable truths for the establishment. When he says Clinton is in Wall Street's pocket, that's just obviously, demonstrably true. Whereas he isn't in anyone's pocket, because he has the sort of wealth that makes him the pocket that other people are in.

droid

The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency is nothing less than a tragedy for the American republic, a tragedy for the Constitution, and a triumph for the forces, at home and abroad, of nativism, authoritarianism, misogyny, and racism. Trump’s shocking victory, his ascension to the Presidency, is a sickening event in the history of the United States and liberal democracy. On January 20, 2017, we will bid farewell to the first African-American President—a man of integrity, dignity, and generous spirit—and witness the inauguration of a con who did little to spurn endorsement by forces of xenophobia and white supremacy. It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound anxiety.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/an-american-tragedy-donald-trump

firefinga

Hats off to Craner. Florida was looking bad when I went to bed, but this is a stunning result. That 3% margin of error went against Clinton nearly everywhere.

I guess now we'll see if Trump really is a fascist or was just pretending to be one to win votes.

Like any populist he'll fuck up things probably very quickly, the Problem just will be how many casualties on the inevitable way to self-destruction

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if Trump's links with Russian hackers will be exposed to a more damaging extent in the next few months?

And what of all these charges against him for sexual assault?

droid

On the plus side, a nuclear winter may be the only thing that will save us from being boiled alive by climate change.

luka

Like any populist he'll fuck up things probably very quickly, the Problem just will be how many casualties on the inevitable way to self-destruction

Berlusconi kept winning. Mind you he led an impoverished peasant state with no global influence