DOOM, or The Official 2016 US Election Thread

droid

Sorry, with the later generation of sub-megaton yield airburst warheads any nuclear winter is likely to be short-lived. The model's Carl Sagan et al used weren't very good.

lol. Dont take away the one sliver lining.

Actually - it seems like we're still good as long as there's total war between Russia & US.

This larger number of firestorms, which are not, in of themselves modeled, are presented as causing nuclear winter conditions as a result of the smoke inputted into various climate models, with the depths of severe cooling lasting for as long as a decade, summer drops in average temperature by about 20 °C (36 °F) in core agricultural regions of the US, Europe, and China, and by as much as 35 °C (63 °F) in Russia.[8] This cooling was produced due to a 99% reduction in the natural solar radiation reaching the surface of the planet in the first few years, gradually clearing over several decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

Fingers crossed!

droid

The fucking Democrats.

Sanders wouldve beaten him. Even Biden could probably have won.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm seeing this framed by right-wingers as the people striking a blow against the establishment, but looking at Trump's actual voting base it seems more like it's the other way around. The establishment being the white middle class America, striking a blow against the ascendant minorities.

Trump has marketed himself as a man of the working people so effectively that even his enemies believe it.

vimothy

yurp
I'm seeing this framed by right-wingers as the people striking a blow against the establishment, but looking at Trump's actual voting base it seems more like it's the other way around. The establishment being the white middle class America, striking a blow against the ascendant minorities.

Where are the figures? That seems counter-intuitive (although perhaps not if you're defining the establishment as "white middle class America").

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was referring to these figures, and the ones showing support going along race lines. Presume they're from pre-election polls.

Cwz6vAMXgAA6MKS.jpg

I've seen these doing the rounds, but I'll need a source on them!

vimothy

yurp
But those don't disaggregate across income. You need a table that does both to see how strong Trump's support among the "white working class" is.

vimothy

yurp
Assuming you're defining them by their income. (Many commenters seem to defining working class by the absence of a degree.)

vimothy

yurp
I wouldn't have voted for Trump, he's too unstable and repellent a person. But I can understand why people did.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Seems Clinton on course to win popular vote. The final kick in the teeth.

I read something recently that explained how the weighting (in terms of electoral college votes) is by no means uniformly fair, and that it consistently over-represents the smallest states (mostly rural/small town, generally less diverse, overwhelmingly conservative) relative to the larger states (which contain most of the big cities and have a much greater concentration of non-whites, non-Christians, graduates, queer people etc. etc.). Will post it here if I can find it.

Edit: for a start, each state gets two Senators, which seems fucking ridiculous, considering the biggest state has 66 times the population of the smallest!

Last edited: