Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Tabloids

You're trying to prove number of readers is higher than he says it is. Fell into a trap.

Who votes consistently? Who can be shaped and mobilised into a bloc is more important than numeric majorities

15% matters, 5% you can count on matters

Where's the counterweight?

Where's Corbyns voice reaching what? 15,20%

Reality pays no attention to statistics

just fyi, this isn't twitter: you can actually write more than 140 characters per post.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    You're trying to prove number of readers is higher than he says it is. Fell into a trap.
    Nah, you disprove his basic premise to discredit him, then take the self evidently false assertions apart piece by piece.

Only problem is you have to be arsed.

A friend of mine was fulminating about the Gina Miller 'face darkening' thing on FB just now, but has since reversed himself after seeing a clip of her on telly - I mean, if you just do a google image search for her, she does actually have fairly dark skin: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gi...ToD84Q_AUIBygC

Not that the Sun isn't written and edited by utter scumbags, but if anything, it's the Times that's lightened her up.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

lol. Its a tricky one actually. I think the Sun pic is a touch darker, but certainly within the realms of printer error. The times has the contrast and yellows pushed up and the sun has taken out all the high midtones and reduced the contrast.

I am not from the UK/Ireland as most of dissensus' readers seem to be but in austria we have tabloids too of course. We have two tabloids here that are actually free, financed all via advertising, and extremely successfull. People get them nearby bus stations, railway stations, outside supermarkets and so on, and occasionally I travel by train and see people reading those in masses. Do you have them, too?

Needless to say, those free ones are even more about spectacle, sensationalism and aiming at the emotional in an even cruder fashion than the established tabloids (which still cost money)

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I am not from the UK/Ireland as most of dissensus' readers seem to be but in austria we have tabloids too of course. We have two tabloids here that are actually free, financed all via advertising, and extremely successfull. People get them nearby bus stations, railway stations, outside supermarkets and so on, and occasionally I travel by train and see people reading those in masses. Do you have them, too?

Needless to say, those free ones are even more about spectacle, sensationalism and aiming at the emotional in an even cruder fashion than the established tabloids (which still cost money)
    We have one but it's less extreme than the sun. Mostly celeb gossip.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

The Metro, owned by The Daily Mail I believe? Definitely a rag but as Luka says less political.

Evening Standard might also be run by the Mail. More political, right wing.