The Tabloids

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can't compare the BBC with newspapers - print or online editions - because it doesn't deal in big, bold, single-message headlines like the tabloids (and often even the broadsheets) do.

Surely if the Leave campaign earlier this year and Trump's candidacy and then election campaign going on right this second have taught us anything, it's that the most effective message is the loudest and simplest? A semi-nuanced article on the 'magazine' section of the BBC News website about EU migrants working as NHS nurses or whatever is as nothing next to a headline in huge black block capitals about TEN MILLION BULGARIANS LINING UP TO STEAL YOUR JOB AND SHIT IN YOUR FRONT GARDEN or whatever.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
the mail/sun are pure propaganda/incitement, how useful is it to compare their readership with that of the bbc? it's not 'news' in the same way so they don't influence in the same way, so im not sure a comparison of the numbers can do this conversation justice

Leo

some very small circulation publications such as the weekly standard or national review have had substantial impact in the past by pushing out ideology and influencing the political dialogue.

obviously this is slightly different from what you're discussing, since those journals are read by a small number of elites/wonks and not a general consumer audience, but one could argue that aspects of those journals' ideology make their way into general news publications/websites through their influence.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Lol at you lot. Why are you letting him lead you by the nose?

You're right of course, but it's Friday afternoon and I dunno about anyone else but I'm bored and am just waiting till it's a seemly time to bust a move from work.

Which is about.... now, I think. Good weekend, everyone.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Do the tabloids really reflect the popular mood, rather than dictating it, especially in an era where newspapers are either going under or on the verge of it?

We don't know. It's impossible to say to what extent the tabloids are driving things and to what extent they're being driven by popular opinion. People generally like to read stuff that confirms what they already believe

luka

If you've watched game of thrones you know one thing. Power is perception. So that's a starting point. Deny him his premise. That influence is measured in sales figures.

luka

And Corpsey you gestured towards this. Everyone from the prime minister down acts as though rothermere, Dacre, Murdoch are powerful. Turn the question around. Why?

luka

You're trying to prove number of readers is higher than he says it is. Fell into a trap.

luka

Who votes consistently? Who can be shaped and mobilised into a bloc is more important than numeric majorities

Leo

just fyi, this isn't twitter: you can actually write more than 140 characters per post. :)

droid

You're trying to prove number of readers is higher than he says it is. Fell into a trap.

Nah, you disprove his basic premise to discredit him, then take the self evidently false assertions apart piece by piece.

Only problem is you have to be arsed.

droid

CwcZMKZXcAIbXhz.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A friend of mine was fulminating about the Gina Miller 'face darkening' thing on FB just now, but has since reversed himself after seeing a clip of her on telly - I mean, if you just do a google image search for her, she does actually have fairly dark skin: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...ved=0ahUKEwi3rZehnZDQAhWLD8AKHZToD84Q_AUIBygC

Not that the Sun isn't written and edited by utter scumbags, but if anything, it's the Times that's lightened her up.