Thread: ""Post Truth" politics"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ""Post Truth" politics"

Quote Originally Posted by sundersays
    "Post-truth politics" translates as 'I don't understand why my side is losing, when we are cleverer, to stupid people I don't like"
    https://twitter.com/sundersays/statu...63815606816769
    Best thing I read so far on this so called phenomenon, which has now attained full msm recognition.

I quoted another article on another thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    blah blah "post-truth" media, blah blah - this article (pre 11/9) https://theawl.com/when-truth-falls-apart-b4667d39575b blah blah blah
    but sunder nailed it

"Post-truth politics" translates as 'I don't understand why my side is losing, when we are cleverer, to stupid people I don't like"

If that were the case wouldn't the term have found wide usage when Bush won, when Cameron won, etc.

Wouldn't you agree that Trump's brazen lying during the campaign is unprecedented in modern historical memory, especially when considering the fact that it doesn't seem to cost him politically?

To a much lesser degree, Leave also clearly lied during the referendum and it was similarly rewarded politically.

i blame reality tv.

i'm being facetious but it could be a factor, here in the states anyway. bored senseless people plopped in front of their television sets every night blankly staring at episodes of "reality" filled with conflict and mock outrage that are actually anything but real life. viewers can't tell the difference after awhile, TV and politics merge into a dull blur of entertainment. trump's outrageous statements on the campaign trail compete for attention not with that of his opponent but with last night's episode of the kardashians or "big brother". politics becomes "american idol" and the masses vote for what "feels" right.

actually, i have no fucking idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

"Post Truth" politics IMO means: a politician/political spectrum claims something despite being disproven, keeps claiming those unfactual things even more afterwards. Voters/Supporters of course believe those fabricated "facts" simply bc it's not coming from "the system". The effect highly exacerbated by the social media echo chambers. There are millions of people around basically these days who get their world view from those said echo chambers. See also the pre-emptive "explanations" of lost elections - "the system" has rigged it! Usually you find the "Post Truth" types on the political right/populist - but not exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    i blame reality tv.

i'm being facetious but it could be a factor, here in the states anyway. bored senseless people plopped in front of their television sets every night blankly staring at episodes of "reality" filled with conflict and mock outrage that are actually anything but real life. viewers can't tell the difference after awhile, TV and politics merge into a dull blur of entertainment. trump's outrageous statements on the campaign trail compete for attention not with that of his opponent but with last night's episode of the kardashians or "big brother". politics becomes "american idol" and the masses vote for what "feels" right.

actually, i have no fucking idea.
    I don't see this as a facetious thing to say at all - I mean, didn't Trump become a household name in the USA as a result of hosting The Apprentice? I'm sure he was well-known before that but I was under the impression it was this that really made him someone that everyone knows by sight. Could be wrong of course.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you