""Post Truth" politics"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In other words, Mr Tea you're a hipster fascist.

Me, yesterday:

755.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fun fact: Jarvis Cocker read Marinetti's Futurist Manifesto and was not impressed. He said it read like something Jeremy Clarkson would come out with.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Wow. Fucking tragic, if true.

Harvard-educated Gulnara - a judo black belt who at the height of her nepotistic power was the wealthiest woman oligarch in the former Soviet Union as well as a pop star, catwalk model, socialite, fashion designer, foreign diplomat, heir apparent, and, in her own words, an 'exotic Uzbekistan beauty'.

That's like, not even James Bond levels of ridiculous - sounds more like an Austin Powers character!

firefinga

Interesting article from the NYT about how Facebook personality quizzes are used by a Republican/Breitbart-backed company to help target news stories at specific types of people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/the-secret-agenda-of-a-facebook-quiz.html

It goes deeper than that, read a news magazine article recently (it's in German and unfortunately not availabe on the net) how Facebook is being paid for targetting specific audiences regarding according policies by campaign/party managers - and they pay big bucks for this by now. Article was dealing with German speaking countires but I assume Trump did just the same. Facebook has become a monstrosity out of control. What used to be midly amusing, became more annoying oin the process is now a vote deciding factor for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Leo

"This is the problem with the media. You guys took everything Donald Trump said so literally," said Corey Lewandowski, a former Trump campaign manager who served as a CNN commentator after leaving the campaign, the network reported.

"The American people didn't. They understood it. They understood sometimes when you have a conversation with people, whether it's around the dinner table or at a bar, you're going to say things and sometimes you don't have all the facts to back it up."

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/308419-trump-clinton-aides-clash-at-post-election-gathering

Trump surrogate Scott Nell Hughes:

"Well, I think it's also an idea of an opinion. And that's—on one hand, I hear half the media saying that these are lies. But on the other half, there are many people that go, 'No, it's true.' And so one thing that has been interesting this entire campaign season to watch, is that people that say facts are facts—they're not really facts. Everybody has a way—it's kind of like looking at ratings, or looking at a glass of half-full water. Everybody has a way of interpreting them to be the truth, or not truth. There's no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/videos/a51152/trump-surrogate-no-such-thing-as-facts/

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Despite having decisively won the presidential election by the only measure that counts, the Electoral College, Donald Trump recently decided to call the legitimacy of the entire process into question. “In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally,” Trump tweeted.

There was instant widespread condemnation of Trump. The New York Times ran a headline declaring that Trump’s claim had “no evidence.” ABC News declared it “baseless,” NPR went with “unfounded.” Politico called it a “fringe conspiracy theory.” Those news outlets whose headlines about the tweet did not contain the word “false” were criticized for failing their responsibility to exercise journalistic scrutiny.

The Washington Post swiftly sicced its top fact-checker on Trump. Glenn Kessler denounced Trump’s “bogus claim.” Kessler gave Trump a lecture on the importance of credibility, writing that since Trump was now “on the verge of becoming president, he needs to be more careful about making wild allegations with little basis in fact, especially if the claim emerged from a handful of tweets and conspiracy-minded websites.” Should Trump persist in wildly distorting the truth, he “will quickly find that such statements will undermine his authority on other matters.”

The media demanded to know where Trump had come up with such a ridiculous notion. The day after the tweet, Trump spokesman Jason Miller was asked by NPR whether there was any evidence to support the idea that millions of people had voted illegally. But surprisingly enough, Miller did have a source: The Washington Post.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/12/the-necessity-of-credibility

Very good article on the media panic about "fake news".

firefinga

Very good article on the media panic about "fake news".

Another "very good" article that's not very good at all. The basic idea of it is that "classic" media is prone to spread fake news themselves and that press scutiny needs to be reinforced. Furthermore, the author implies that people actually would go back to a more trustworthy "classic" media again if it went back to be err- more thustworthy. I have my doubts about the latter, a large number of people have learned to build their "safe spaces" (mostly online) in the recent years and will do fuck all to leave those (social)-media comfort zones.

Plus, press srutiny (well researched articles etc) is costly, todays mainstream media keeps losing revenue, can't keep good writers, isn't hiring good journalists bc of that and so on. I agree with the writer's assessment of the "old" media becoming a bit crappy over the last decade or so, but he doesn't suggest anything else than "get the job done better" when investigative journalism is dead (or has been killed by aset of reasons) and no revival is in sight.

Last edited: