""Post Truth" politics"

droid

Are we supposed to have forgotten that the BBC fired someone for pointing out that an intelligence document was dodgy?

vimothy

yurp
The fight against fake news moves to Germany:

The Federal Press Office in the Chancellery is slated to take the lead in creating the defense center "since the focus is on public relations," the staff member wrote in the note. The press office, headed by German Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman, Steffen Seibert, has over 500 employees.

The note named specific groups that are particularly susceptible or vulnerable to fake news, including "Russian-Germans" and people with Turkish origins, the magazine reported.

The ministry recommended that "an intensification of political education work" should be carried out with those specific groups.

http://www.dw.com/en/germany-plans-...ense-against-fake-news-report-says/a-36887455

luka

https://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/20...iracy-“to-destroy-this-invisible-government”/
He [Assange] decides, instead, that the most effective way to attack this kind of organization would be to make "leaks" a fundamental part of the conspiracy's information environment. Which is why the point is not that particular leaks are specifically effective. Wikileaks does not leak something like the "Collateral Murder" video as a way of putting an end to that particular military tactic; that would be to target a specific leg of the hydra even as it grows two more. Instead, the idea is that increasing the porousness of the conspiracy's information system will impede its functioning, that the conspiracy will turn against itself in self-defense, clamping down on its own information flows in ways that will then impede its own cognitive function. You destroy the conspiracy, in other words, by making it so paranoid of itself that it can no longer conspire.

Leo

matt taibbi:
A lot of us have this idea that the truth has a kind of magical power, that if the truth is out there it will convince the country to unite behind it. But this isn't so. People can simply decide to not believe a version of events now. They can shop for information the same way they'd shop for everything else, and they pick the reality they find most pleasing.

Back when I was thinking about the rapture movement or the 9/11 truther movement, what struck me was that there are bubbles now that you can stay in and you don't have to engage with reality if you don't want to. So it occurred to me that in the future, people might decide en masse to completely tune out. Even the idea of having a debate with people about a commonly accepted body of facts seemed to be slipping away at the time.

And that's kind of what happened in this election. It was one group of people believing one thing and another group of people seeing something completely different.

http://www.vox.com/conversations/20...t-taibbi-elections-2016-hillary-clinton-media

Leo

The Associated Press reports:

Alex Jones is a performance artist whose true personality is nothing like his on-air persona, according to a lawyer defending the "Infowars" broadcaster in a child custody battle.

Attorney Randall Wilhite said at a pretrial hearing in Austin last week that evaluating Jones based on his on-air comments is like judging Jack Nicholson based on his role as the Joker in "Batman."

for some reason, this does not put my mind at ease.

also, his ex-wife isn't buying it: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/infowars-host-jones-disputes-persona-in-custody-dispute/ar-BBzWxGp

firefinga

I have to admit, before the Trump debacle I wasn't aware of the existance of Alex Jones. Watched a few of his vids on youtube (meaning the first few seconds) and couldn't help it but think this must be satire. Of course, it isn't. And that's the creepy part.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good. Liars getting away with it because of specious journalistic 'fairness' is a curse of our age.