Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of 2016

The replica that is so real you can fall in love with it, the robot which simulates feelings so perfectly you believe it really cares for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i think i need to listen to HAIM

I feel like they're some sort of ground zero of all the sort of ethereal floaty rnb/pop shit i like like Laura Groves KING Solange Kelela etc

And I think it's a response to this nonspace of the Internet

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Which is why there's all these images taken from early computer games because those were the early nonspaces or simulated spaces that we were immersed in. And that feeling of immersion and hollow yearning they conjure up is so familiar

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Who is the RNB producer shaping everything these days, if any?

Like you had Jam and Lewis then Teddy Riley then Timbaland then the Neptunes etc... Everything sounds a bit like Drake's second album now, dunnit? So maybe Noah Shebib? But then he ripped off Kanye's 808 and hearbreaks right? I dunno why I even care. But the reverb-saturated melancholic sound is everywhere except of course mainstream pop which is all supper bright EDM-y.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Which is why there's all these images taken from early computer games because those were the early nonspaces or simulated spaces that we were immersed in. And that feeling of immersion and hollow yearning they conjure up is so familiar
    yeah but otoh the music doesn't sound like video game music to me, it's all super 'spacious' and floaty, whereas those early games were primary colours, pixel-straight shapes

saying that i think video game music has to be incredibly influential on a certain generation (my generation really). factoring in how difficult it was to hear music you wanted to hear as a kid (expensive CDs, radio only other option), video game music must have been one of the most listened to types of music for ppl of a certain age

You're missing the point

It's a sophisticated and subtle point so that's understandable

To continue to miss the point, is it also that the music is all being produced in soft synths now? I mean, that connection to 'real' instruments is more distant now. It's all digitised. It's the same with video, actually - it's super high definition, so really should feel more 'real', but it actually feels less real, less like something is being filmed than something is being generated.

OK i think i see what you're saying - the 'nonspace' of the internet means engaging with emotions and people at a remove

No, that's not it. Keep trying. It might be I haven't expressed myself carefully enough

We're engaging with emotions that are synthesised replications of the real world. Just as video games synthesise real-world goals.

And the 'real' emotion underlying all this is a profound sadness at how meaningless our half-simulated lives are

WARMER OR COLDER?

Bit crass but yeah we're getting somewhere. Virtual environments virtual rewards

*edit*

I know you'll absolutely love being compared to K Punk - what you're talking about reminds me of KP's review of Drake's album from a few years ago

http://www.electronicbeats.net/start...-was-the-same/

A glacial fatalism runs beneath everything here, and Drake matters because he makes contact—maybe better than anyone else—with the sense of hopelessness that quietly subsists beneath all the twerking and tweeting, all the twitter and the chatter of 21st century culture. Hear this in the gorgeous electro-downer haze that saturates the album and establishes its tone much more than any of the beats. Yet there’s something beyond the fatalism, too. You can hear it in Drake’s signature move—the transition from rap to singing, the slipping down from ego-assertion into a sensual purring, the relaxing into a lasciviousness that has nothing to do with the localized libido and dumb automatisms of phallic sexuality. Down here, there is a glorious release from the pressures of identity. Rave-like, pitched-up vocals are suspended on placid currents of synth. Voices stop being human, become avatars from a space where subjectivity has been left behind like a bad dream.
    etc.

BTW sort of on subject, I've lately been seized by the suspicion that you and sadmanbarty are one and the same person. Confirm/deny?
    Last edited by Corpsey; 08-12-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Any simulation sufficiently advanced to be functionally indistinguishable from reality is reality.

Sci-fi 101.

At the vanguard of this, perhaps a progenitor of it: Burial? The frustrated longing, the pastiche of genre, the dehumanised voices, the introversion and artificiality of it all. The birth of the #sadboy? Perhaps not synthetic enough for luka's definition, perhaps also not close enough to the original.