Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Russian hacking of the US election

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    Apparently WhatsApp is popular nowadays: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...vladimir-putin
    I reckon Don and Vlad have a private video channel.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The question is a kind of Rorschach test, which is why it's a great question.
    https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...ing_the_1.html schneier agrees,

Question is, is there any hard evicence? The article in the thread-starting post is very vague on what's been really done. Not that I think it's not plausible, on the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Question is, is there any hard evicence? The article in the thread-starting post is very vague on what's been really done. Not that I think it's not plausible, on the contrary.
    that article in my thread-starting post is from more than a month ago, more detailed intelligence agency reports came out a week ago. still not concrete evidence, but more evidence anyway.

C-Span Online Broadcast Interrupted by Russian TV Feed

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/b...sia-today.html

They cheekily leave the most likely explanation till the 2nd to last paragraph, still funny though.

"C-Span’s newsroom monitors many other news channels for breaking news, including domestic networks like CBS and CNN, and various international networks. Its statement suggested that a routing error had caused the RT feed it regularly monitors to be broadcast accidentally."

Blaming Trump's election on a few smart Russians ignores the contribution of 60 million moronic Americans.

^^ that's not fair, actually, most of them aren't morons. many may truly believe but many are also misguided, uninformed, misled, preoccupied with the trivial distractions/spin, etc. the ny times has an interview with women explaining why they voted for trump and it's still puzzling (if not infuriating) to hear from their own mouths about the things they feel are important and other factors they completely overlook or dismiss.

Yeah, it's easy to take the high ground and dismiss people as idiots, but you have to consider the sheer density and omnipresence of bullshit information - I don't mean fake news as such, just extremely biased or otherwise lousy 'news' sources and professional opinion-havers - and the fact that none of us get to choose the family/community/area we're born into.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

imagine if this were to happen:

1. russians hack DNC email and give them to assange.
    2. assange helps trump campaign by releasing DNC emails.
    3. trump wins election.
    4. assange says he will agree to US extradition if chelsea manning is released
    5. obama commutes chelsea manning's sentence.
    6. trump sworn in as president.
    7. assange extradited to the US.
    8. trump administration refuses to press charges against assange.

some or all of this might be fiction, of course. but funny how things (could) work out.
    Last edited by Leo; 18-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Thats precisely how it did happen (except perhaps for the Manning bit). Assange agreed to meet the Swedish prosecutor a couple of days after the election. He acted as an intermediary for Russian hack info so he could get out of jail via Trump.

So... A senior member of Putin's Kleptocracy and likely source for the Steele Russian dossier found dead under mysterious circumstances.

https://t.co/StMg5dwUMG

total nonsense. i believe assange and craig murray over the predictable russia-blaming democrats wishing to excuse their catastrophic loss. the 'hacker' was a democrat party insider and the (poorly guarded) emails had zero exposure in the media, not enough to influence the outcome. what did the democrats in was their unlikeable candidate and sycophantic media, plus a very determined and hard working rival.
    la sonrisa es divina, la risa humana, la carcajada animal

no one said the wikileaks emails won the election for trump. i said they helped the trump campaign, which they surely did. and i was speculating (a bit factiously, at that) on the potential quid pro quo between the trump campaign and assange. wasn't rehashing clinton's campaign or making excuses.

Russia had a role. Comey had a role. DNC corruption had a role. Hillary's appalling campaign and history had a role. Trump's populist message had a role.

The emails had huge exposure. With all due respect bruno, have you been living in a cave for the last year?

right, i do think their impact was minor given the very little exposure they received in u.s. and global media. they did vindicate trump, but given the anti-trump onslaught the impact was likely nil beyond his circle. all i saw was constant anti-trump propaganda which perhaps made people weary enough to eventually cast the vote for him.
    la sonrisa es divina, la risa humana, la carcajada animal