All Hail Our Technocrat Overlords

craner

Beast of Burden
I've become an investor under the tutelage of my Chinese colleague Chun who is an expert and has £90,000 wrapped up in shares. It's a different way of looking at the world, very educational, but amoral and corrupting. After a ten minute lesson I was demanding information on the most lucrative long term fracking yield and got it: Hurricane Energy who have just discovered a deep gas seam in the North Sea. That's the tip, guys.

What, are you going watch the chaos on the news with sad Panda eyes, or are you going to ride this Tiger?

This lasted about a day and I got bored.

version

The appealing thing about investing is that, like a Prynne poem, it compresses all the worlds information into a single plane so that a coup in Bahrain and crop failure in Armenia are equally relevant, and for the same reason. Everything becomes interesting everything becomes relevant.
It also obscures the suffering connected to those events. All the pain and misery of the world reduced to numbers on a screen. Tragedies become opportunities.

version

I picture these people essentially playing a game like Football Manager with real world consequences, but only for other people. Actual headlines start to seem like in-game events for you to navigate rather than things which are really happening somewhere.

version

There's an allure to it. You must get a real sense of security when it's going your way, hovering above it all like the Eye of Providence.

sus

The appealing thing about investing is that, like a Prynne poem, it compresses all the worlds information into a single plane so that a coup in Bahrain and crop failure in Armenia are equally relevant, and for the same reason. Everything becomes interesting everything becomes relevant.
This reads like it's ripped from DeLillo's The Names

luka

Have you got a lump sum you can invest on behalf of the forum? We could all help manage it. It might make our lives more interesting.