Everything is so well produced now it's dull

luka

its a very savvy, professional generation. youtube tutorial generation who dont have to figure anything out for themselves and thus create nothing new, not having to experiemnt explore or make mistakes, same way they dont stumble on anything cos they have satnav, same way everything is contained, facebook etc etc

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
i think Trump could really revitalise music by launching nukes and sending us all back to the 80s, technologically speaking

I wonder if in 20 years ppl will hear music from 2016 and think god that sounds charmingly primitive? i mean can it get any more high fidelity than it already has?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
also its about homogenised music cos everybody is using the same kit

don't want to be a luddite cos the modern music does sound terrific but i wonder if there'll be a pendulum swing as there usually is in the arts

sadmanbarty

I'd say more of my favourite music from any period is live albums/tape packs/ concert films rather than music recorded in a studio, weather that's funk, jazz, rock, jungle, etc. This suggestts that poorer sound quality appeals to me for whatever reason.

rubberdingyrapids

this is how many ppl felt in the 80s. the diff was then you at least had reactions to that (indie, hip hop) that created something that wasnt so slick and perfectly produced. now even low budget stuff can sound higher budget, or at least enough so that even if its not polished, its still 'well produced'. and more than that, artists dont want to sound like theyre not 'well produced'. everyone wants to sound 'proper' which is fucking boring. but then my fave music as a teen was hip hop so maybe i am pre disposed to lo fi 'grittier' production (and that possibly stupid idea of the 60s/early 70s as representing what pop music is meant to sound like). i like not so great digital production now. even stuff like the latest rihanna album isnt THAT perfectly produced, not compared to beyonce anyway.

Last edited:

firefinga

Yeah but that's the result of progressed digitization, which results in spooky conformity (despite the "endless possiblities" sales pitch).

On the other hand pop music (and it's adjunct popmusic-subcultures) are pretty much spent forces anyways.

BTW Merry Christmas

CrowleyHead

I have no idea what anyone's going out about in this thread, older music was fucking terrible for years people banged on soggy cardboard and called it a drum mix. Now you can actually hear a drum not a sopping noise. Giant fucking thread of "Life was simpler when we thought Grendel could eat our children" threatening to rear its head here.

The trick is that nothing actually sounds the same, the problem is the idea of the novelty listener who thinks everything sounds like everything else and the inability to discern where difference and experimentation occurs. You throw the same kit at a dozen kids, they might make a dozen records in the same style, but the individual desires of those people manifest all the same. The whole concept of everything being so NEW sounding was back in the day everyone had stylistic ADD and wanted everything not to sound like the same song. FFS every song on 50s 60s records to a certain degree allllll ends up being 20 variations of the same song, but over the years the individual differences get recognized and expanded. You'd never say every Motown song is exactly the same but at the end of the day its the same fucking musicians, studio, arrangements, in fact it might even have been all done in the same marathon session.

NOAH FENCE but the music listener has a real fear of dillengence and 'doing the work' in the modern age in requiring dedication to a form, to a specific sound and recognizing where it goes, watching multiple people make the same fucking record and discovering the stylistic tics, the subtle influences, think about how and why those came to be. You can't do that when the iPod/post-modernity/whatever placer has you ready to believe everything is everything and all music is up for grabs, because then you don't learn how to appreciate the good and bad of something, you just move on to another thing.