Rap 2017

luka

I remember them setting up this binary between common on the one hand (they hated him) and beatnuts (loved them) on the other. That was quite an advanced move for people in their position

entertainment

something tells me that girls thugged out in mens clothing are the ones you would least like to mess with. She gives me a Snoop from The Wire vibe. Act'n up is dope.

CrowleyHead

Yeah, first openly gay female rapper to become a national star and first big NYC rapper since Shmurda (which is funny because "Oooouuuu" basically follows the "Hot N***A" formula)

CrowleyHead

I don't LOVE it but I like it. People put a lot less pressure on her to be this phenomenal MC which is good, I want NYC to feel like they can make mid-tier rap until we're allowed to make hits regularly again. Just bangers, that's all we need.

sadmanbarty

It's antiquated. Not a million miles away from every raekwon track for the past 15 years. but even for that sort of thing it's not very good.

luka

As CrowleyHead says it's a remake of hot n__ I dunno what you're hearing but I know you're not a rap guy so no big deal

CrowleyHead

He's not entirely wrong either but like, I got very over the idea that New York is going to stop making New York rappers. I'd say she's a lot better than Raekwon though.

luka

Let.your city breathe! It is new york! And she's got presence and charisma and you haven't had that even for a long while.

luka

200 million views and Crowley the only one of you that even heard of her before. Weird. I think anyway.

CrowleyHead

we've all heard her before, don't be cheeky

You never know. Someone could be in this thread any minute and be confounded. "You prefer... this to... that wonderful new Guilty Simpson LP?"

I do have to stop attacking Detroit people. Anyone remember when I said J Dilla was shit in the sacred cows thread? Good times.

luka

She's not joey 'bada$$' if you positioned her with like
Ruff ryders, dipset, g-unit then I wouldn't have a problem. That moment where ny was making club bangers but with the agressive content intact.

luka

For Barty cos he's never heard it :D

The LOX - Money, Power, Respect (feat. Lil Kim & …:
This is my favourite of that whole era maybe.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Niggaz Done Started Something"

Swizz was a producer who at the time I thought was absolutely awful but who I now see as some sort of Avant Garde genius.

Whereas now I can't hear DJ Premier beats without wanting to get out a duster. Musical taste is a cruel and fickle mistress.

trilliam

"Niggaz Done Started Something"

Swizz was a producer who at the time I thought was absolutely awful but who I now see as some sort of Avant Garde genius.

top five freestyle beats of all time

in addition to that you've got jadakiss and styles p (hall of fame "rappers rapper") on there and neither has the best verse..

the first song to play anyone who says dmx just shouts and cant rap