Rap 2017

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think anyone else on here likes Roc Marciano like I do but his new album, though it doesn't hit the highs of Marcberg and Reloaded, is really good.

forclosure

I don't think anyone else on here likes Roc Marciano like I do but his new album, though it doesn't hit the highs of Marcberg and Reloaded, is really good.

I love Roc Marci and if anything for me this new album just serves as a refermation that he's the farda of that particular style of dark hard hitting funny rap stlye of rap that try as they might Westside Gunn and Conway just can't match

There's not as many interesting turns as say on Reloaded but i'm just happy to hear one of my favourite writers in rap on the mic again

speaking of which the new Starlito is great but it feels like he's been consistently great for ages now:https://starlito.bandcamp.com/album/manifest-destiny

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love Roc Marci and if anything for me this new album just serves as a refermation that he's the farda of that particular style of dark hard hitting funny rap stlye of rap that try as they might Westside Gunn and Conway just can't match

Yeah. I don't listen to those last two guys but I've not heard anyone from the new skool doing that old NY style as convincingly and freshly as Marciano. To your point about it being 'dark' - this is definitely true of a lot of his music and a lot of 'Rosebudd's Revenge', but I actually appreciate that the tone is a bit more varied on here. There's some relatively light-hearted, or at least chirpy, beats on here.

He really takes me back to what I used to value most in (NYC) rappers - intricately written braggadocio with a cool tone to it, noirish vibes, etc. Though in many respects he's not like Cam'ron, he does have that thing of mixing multisyllable, knotty writing with ''ignant'' content.

luka

they're all terrible. i want to like ka cos hes a fireman but actaully its all fancy dress mobb deep atmospherics and wubonics.

CrowleyHead

i want to like ka cos hes a fireman

That's an interesting qualifier.

I've griped to WebE about this but both Westside and Conway to me are just Uncle Murda style generic NYC rappers who got ahold of the 'right' beats. If they were A-Mafia nobody'd give a shit about them, but they have good managers. And both fucking suck.

Haven't heard the new Marci yet, want to though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Would never have connected Dilated Peoples with Ka, but then I've not listened to Dilated Peoples since their second album.

Not such a big fan of Ka as Roc Marciano though.

rubberdingyrapids

idk, ill be honest and admit ive not listened to him in that much depth, but theres that similiar sort of deeply introverted stiffness when i listen to both.

ill try and seek out the new roc marci album. hes better than ka.

I enjoyed it on my first couple of listens:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:1P8NvRvykmDrKyfglMerMv" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

It's def better than the self-titled one he put out the other week. 'emotional future' is pretty damn similar to 'trap future' but the beats are a lot better and sound like they weren't just throw-aways resurrected from the rubbish bin. 'fresh air' is really hittin' the spot atm, his singing is great

UK rap is so hit and miss (from the stuff ive heard anyway), and it's pretty one dimensional compared to oldskool grime (the production, lyrically, imagery) but a few of the songs i like.

The producer (Carns Hill) seems to be behind a few of the better uk rap tunes as well