Wiley - Godfather

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
People who like grime are just trying to impress people on the estates, for some reason, unlike Hip Hop, which spoke to the middle class English DJ Format fan.

Blackalicious, now that's REAL rap.

rubberdingyrapids

People who like grime are just trying to impress people on the estates, for some reason, unlike Hip Hop, which spoke to the middle class English DJ Format fan.

Blackalicious, now that's REAL rap.

please tell me thats a real comment.

i like this album. its weird though hearing wiley basically rap on versions of old beats of his.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What was their pick?

'Tough on the causes of grime'?

'6 music listening wankers' was one of the most OTM comments I saw.

luka

wiley didnt appear out of nowhere. there were precursors and contemporaries all of whom deserve a mention. But at the same time if you can only see the continuity and not the ruptures you're only getting half the picture. Even when I first heard Wiley (with Riko) in '98/'99 on a drum and bass station i was shocked. It was different. Not so much in terms of form but because of what they were saying. From there I knew things had changed and all traces of rave utopianism were dead.

Speaking musically I'd identify two ruptures. One was eskimo, which sounded like a bolt out of the blue and nothing like the sublow and 8 bar that came before it even if it took cues from the spartan, hard edged architecture of those early tunes (and things like the4x4 Harry Lime stuff) and one was wiley and dizzee clashing so soild on choice. Straight away so solid seemed old hat. They were still doing the 'garage voice' grindah parodies on people just do nothing.

Eskimo, and other tunes out that camp (the Danny Weed stuff for example) have an off kilter, staggered quality you dont find in breaks or anything that had come out of garage. The devil mixes took the experimentalism even further. Wiley's bass sound was unique and had zomby doing piss poor impersonations of it 10 years after the fact.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I saw your classic argument about Jon E Cash. That guy, eh, what was he talking about?

Ex-Dissensian wrote the article, current Dissensian got the guardian pick. Bossing it.

luka

I saw your classic argument about Jon E Cash. That guy, eh, what was he talking about?

Ex-Dissensian wrote the article, current Dissensian got the guardian pick. Bossing it.

Commenting on the Guardian is my worst habit but you do come across some freaks on there. Best argument I had was with an older lad from Norwich who swore blind he was at snoop's first UK concert and was literally the only white person there and was menaced by London gang members all night long.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Commenting on the Guardian is my worst habit but you do come across some freaks on there. Best argument I had was with an older lad from Norwich who swore blind he was at snoop's first UK concert and was literally the only white person there and was menaced by London gang members all night long.

Was it Westwood?

Arguing on the Guardian is even worse than youtube - basic debating skills make it all the more bitter somehow.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
latest

luka

Originally Posted by Diggedy Derek View Post
Wiley Guardian piece not only written by former Dissensus alumni, but edited by one who works on Long Read at the paper too...
dissensus is the sylvia young stage school of journalism.

sad that a lot of people got educated here and by our blogs but didnt stick around to educate the next generation. they dont care about the youth like we do.