Thread: K-Punk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default K-Punk

Just heard this very shocking and sad news.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21567...isher-dies-rip

RIP

This is appallingly sad.

Struggling what to say and think actually.

More thoughts to follow.

Never met Mark but I greatly admired his writing, even (as was often the case) when I disagreed with him. Shocking news, he must have been relatively young.

R.I.P. and commiserations to those of his friends who post or lurk on here.

I'm struggling for words too.

From Otolith Group:
    It is with deep sadness that we make this statement.
    On January 13th 2017, an old friend a real friend, an ally and comrade Mark Fisher left this world. Mark was the author of Capitalist Realism, and Ghosts of My Life, and is behind the blog k-punk. His new book, The Weird and the Eerie was recently published on Repeater Books. He was an architect of thinking that helped to combine ideas and concepts that have shaped much of contemporary thinking across the world today.
    He, with the sensitive brilliant mind that he had was a troubled being full of anguish and despair at the political crisis that faces us. He struggled bravely with depression yet sadly it overcame him. But he was winning, he was winning in his writing, he was changing things with his words. He was giving generously the tools with which to invent new political worlds, and we are totally devastated by this loss. We had so many plans.
    The world is a colder place. Kodwo Eshun, Mark's close friend for over 20 years and academic collaborator, and others will soon be writing more detailed essays and texts as Mark deserves. But for now one of Mark's favourite pieces of music to help him on his journey.

That's no good. Goodbye Mark. Just getting started really.

Default Goodbye friend

We had many good times together in our golden days of blogging. from 2003 till, probably, 2005.

I first contacted Mark when he had set up k-punk. I offered to help him with some technical things. Small beginnings.

Many memories of meeting for walking, talking and usually a little drinking.

At Mark's flats (warm embraces). By the sea with luka (the two of us suddenly in the dark in the countryside without a light fumbling our way to a train through a wood). The Stratford wastes. In Soho watching Desi and Grime at the old Astoria. Hampstead once - again just the two of us. At my place (Lulu in the bath). Many other meets. And phone calls.

And then setting up this place together. Mark provided the name and the theoretical heft and stuck with it.

A sense that here was someone very special, intense and impassioned but at the same time fragile; someone who needed care and protection.

I saw him last year - charisma intact, surrounded by acolytes - at a Repeater launch and it was good to catch up. Strange to think the sight of him climbing the stairs from the Waterstones' basement will be the last I see of him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woebot For This Useful Post:

Feels weird after all the ribbing to be somber, but yeah, a real shame.

I have the Post-Punk: Then And Now book on my phone and today I flipped to his lecture on The Jam, having that sort of sensation of context draped over this now is quite the thing to weigh, morbid as that sounds. And as much as I still stand by the shots I took at Capital Realism, I did like a lot of his writing.