Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: K-Punk

Dan just posted this piece by Jeremy Gilbert up on Twitter. Touches on many of the conversations we have here and features many of the personalities.

https://jeremygilbertwriting.files.w...end-mark40.pdf

2. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

That's an old piece. Came out shortly after his death.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Yeah. First time ive seen it. OTM on Land

so happy and sad to hear that Mark reached Alaa https://madamasr.com/en/2019/04/19/f...-imaginations/

Thoughtful review/overview of the collected works in the LRB today.

Blogs, even very good blogs, make terrible books. See zero's backlist for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Thoughtful review/overview of the collected works in the LRB today.
    It's here, if anyone's curious - https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n09/jenny-...er-but-not-yet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Blogs, even very good blogs, make terrible books. See zero's backlist for confirmation.
    Recall one Zero author asking me what I'd thought of their MS, and replying "well, I liked it all well enough the first time around", which was cattier than perhaps I quite meant to be. (Mine was mostly OC, fwiw, written on the train between Northampton and London on the days when sheer tiredness didn't pull me straight down into leaden slumber)

The Jenny Turner piece is the best appraisal so far published in English, imo.

Just finished it. Good piece. Well researched etc.

I read it the other day, really interesting and threw some light on some of the stuff people talk about on here. (Nick Land, etc.) I should really buy that K-Punk book.

(Coincidentally, Jenny Turner also wrote this piece on Tolkein/LOTR that I happened to read and really rate recently: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n22/jenny-...liking-tolkien)
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

I just read the TLS review yesterday.

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/private/hauntings/

Because I wasn't involved in it and wasn't paying attention at all at the time, I find the psychodrama of that whole Vampire Castle episode interesting and surprising. I wonder how it was received by The Gang at the time.

I found the Sebald criticism funny after seeing him praised on here the other day:

... he did once mention how much he distrusted the way W.G. Sebald, in his much admired Rings of Saturn (1995), ‘morosely trudged through the Suffolk spaces without really looking at them’. This was ‘mittelbrow miserablism’, Fisher continued, ‘an anachronistic, antiqued model of “good literature”’; he quoted the naturalist Richard Mabey, who, like Fisher, had known and loved that coast for years. To read Sebald, according to Mabey, was to watch the belittlement of ‘a very close friend’.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Because I wasn't involved in it and wasn't paying attention at all at the time, I find the psychodrama of that whole Vampire Castle episode interesting and surprising. I wonder how it was received by The Gang at the time.
    The Gang I was in was, to all intents and purposes, no longer The Gang at that point. I had effectively been excommunicated by Mark long before that, and I wasn't the only one. (I never did find out why - the furore over the Atzmon book? Some other transgression I barely noted at the time? If one wants to talk about "cancel culture", it's worth noting that Mark was himself an enthusiastic and very definitive practitioner, on a personal level - and his judgement was extremely final). He had assembled a quite different following, whose sympathies I can only guess at.

Amongst "us" there was mostly foreboding: this wasn't going to go well. Some of what he was saying made perfect sense, and needed saying; some of it, while arguably true, was phrased so baitingly that no constructive response was conceivable; some of it was just hopelessly mistargeted. The defence of Russell Brand seemed an especially strange hill to die on - at the very least, he might have acknowledged that Brand had on several occasions been a toxic nobhead, not just sexist-by-accident like your Nan who hasn't quite got her head around contemporary gender politics, but rather crusadingly obnoxious like that one mate of yours who half the time seems fairly sound and the other half is a coked-up sex-pest bellend. He simultaneously castigated the "neo-anarchist" faction who he held responsible for the worst excesses of bourgeois vampirism, but made a special exception for SolFed who at least in his view had some decent class politics - omitting to notice that most of the individuals who'd especially irritated him were SolFed-adjacent if not actively affiliated. There was an underlying personal animosity about the whole thing which he simply wasn't open about, preferring to parlay his frustrations and irritations with particular people into a grand typology of Bad Subjective Positions - not the first time he'd done that, but by far the largest platform he'd done it on. When it's just you on a blog bitching in thinly veiled theory-speak about someone who's got on your wick, that's one thing; this was, supposedly, a Political Intervention.

It went over disastrously, created a huge furore in which (as I said at the time, to some people's extraordinary annoyance) everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves very much while simultaneously accusing the other side of stealing their enjoyment, and accomplished precisely nothing in terms of altering anybody's behaviour. Now and then some left-baiting dickhead like Nick Cohen picks it up and uses it as a stick to bash the intersectionalist snowflakes with. As far as I'm concerned it's a wholly cursed and tainted document, but it's also doomed to circulate forever - a testimony to Mark's power of opprobrium, which on so many other occasions was wielded so judiciously and correctly.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poetix For This Useful Post:

Craner has a great story about being excommunicated and group-shamed at a party k-punk and acolytes were at. They all formed a circle around him and starting jabbing their fingers towards him chanting "fash-ist, fash-ist, fash-ist SCUM!"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Sounds like the wrong sort of party, if you get me
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post: