Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Groupname for Grapejuice.

Default Groupname for Grapejuice.

I have no hesitation in declaring this the greatest blog of all time. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.
    http://groupnameforgrapejuice.blogspot.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

You really want us all to get into this, I can tell.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of what Pullman's banging on about in The Secret Commonwealth (I mean it's not hard to see, at one level, he's quite didactic about it; but at another level either the thing moves or it doesn't, and I can't decide). It's a sort of Blakean Hermetic world of Imagination, where Imagination both means something like "fancy" (making up stories, hallucinating things into existence) and something like "the flickering within everyday perception of forces outside of everyday perception". There's a connection there to Gr4Gr's Everlasting Gospel, I think, maybe.

I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about Pullman though, we can do that elsewhere.

Wherein lies the particular greatness of this blog, in your opinion?

Both us stumbled on the same understanding of literature and assembled overlapping canons independently. I need to think about how to explain it. I'm a halfwit after dark though, my brain goes out so I dunno how to put it

Imagination here is very much not fancy. ie not just making things up

It's more akin to what version was talking about with his computer game metaphor, revealing the map

Or what Henry Corbin terms the imaginal precisely to distinguish it from fancy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It's a big secret world where you get information outside of time

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It's like coil say in an interview. It's as real as Croydon.

There's a long line of people who believe this because they lived it. If you have the experiences, write the words, follow the trail, you can't not believe in it. It's forced on you.

I guess the thing about writing is sooner or later you realise something is trying to tell you something

"It's nothing to do with believing, like I believe you," he frowns, when I ask him if he actually believes in magic or is merely using it as interesting imagery. "It's knowing. I know. I've experienced things that are beyond reality. Many things." This sounds fascinating, but McCoy collects himself. "I don't want to go too far on this," he says hurriedly, "because I don't want to make a twat of meself."
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ields-nephilim

I always respected about Carl McCoy that his stance was basically "I'm not going to explain it because it will sound completely daft, but it's completely real".

I mean, it's not worth trying to explain it but what you can do is what grapejuice has done and point out how that kind of knowing is the basis of, if not all literature, then a significant amount of it. Even (and you'll say this is cheating) when the author is not aware of it.

Remember that ‘listen to this’ thread?

Post a Goodun if his and we’ll all have our go with it

A corpse close listening thread but with a blog piece