K-Punk

Woebot

This is appallingly sad.

Struggling what to say and think actually.

More thoughts to follow.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never met Mark but I greatly admired his writing, even (as was often the case) when I disagreed with him. Shocking news, he must have been relatively young.

R.I.P. and commiserations to those of his friends who post or lurk on here.

nomos

Administrator
I'm struggling for words too.

From Otolith Group:
It is with deep sadness that we make this statement.
On January 13th 2017, an old friend a real friend, an ally and comrade Mark Fisher left this world. Mark was the author of Capitalist Realism, and Ghosts of My Life, and is behind the blog k-punk. His new book, The Weird and the Eerie was recently published on Repeater Books. He was an architect of thinking that helped to combine ideas and concepts that have shaped much of contemporary thinking across the world today.
He, with the sensitive brilliant mind that he had was a troubled being full of anguish and despair at the political crisis that faces us. He struggled bravely with depression yet sadly it overcame him. But he was winning, he was winning in his writing, he was changing things with his words. He was giving generously the tools with which to invent new political worlds, and we are totally devastated by this loss. We had so many plans.
The world is a colder place. Kodwo Eshun, Mark's close friend for over 20 years and academic collaborator, and others will soon be writing more detailed essays and texts as Mark deserves. But for now one of Mark's favourite pieces of music to help him on his journey.

CrowleyHead

Feels weird after all the ribbing to be somber, but yeah, a real shame.

I have the Post-Punk: Then And Now book on my phone and today I flipped to his lecture on The Jam, having that sort of sensation of context draped over this now is quite the thing to weigh, morbid as that sounds. And as much as I still stand by the shots I took at Capital Realism, I did like a lot of his writing.

Woebot

Goodbye friend

We had many good times together in our golden days of blogging. from 2003 till, probably, 2005.

I first contacted Mark when he had set up k-punk. I offered to help him with some technical things. Small beginnings.

Many memories of meeting for walking, talking and usually a little drinking.

At Mark's flats (warm embraces). By the sea with luka (the two of us suddenly in the dark in the countryside without a light fumbling our way to a train through a wood). The Stratford wastes. In Soho watching Desi and Grime at the old Astoria. Hampstead once - again just the two of us. At my place (Lulu in the bath). Many other meets. And phone calls.

And then setting up this place together. Mark provided the name and the theoretical heft and stuck with it.

A sense that here was someone very special, intense and impassioned but at the same time fragile; someone who needed care and protection.

I saw him last year - charisma intact, surrounded by acolytes - at a Repeater launch and it was good to catch up. Strange to think the sight of him climbing the stairs from the Waterstones' basement will be the last I see of him.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

Karl Kraft

Not posted here in a very long time. Sure for lots of people it is a logical place to return upon hearing the terrible and unexpected news,so glad to see the forum is still going strong and that this thread had been started.
Im probably among quite a few members here in that I found K-Punk from blissblog, and all the amazing correspondence going back and forth between Woebot, Marcello Carlin, Luka and many others, from which dissensus seemed like the next logical step. I think that period around the formation of dissensus will be looked back upon as a special moment in online culture like the music criticism of the 80's that allot of the participants were exiles from.

Karl Kraft

Just seen Mark's wife Zoe post on his facebook page that Mark had taken his own life after a recent, extended bout of depression.
Mark succumbed to the demons that he had fought with his whole life. It seemed on the surface that he must have been past the worst of it, being a happy husband, father and published author, with books actually about his struggle, but of course you never really know.
Zoe said that she will post details of the funeral and that everyone is welcome.

vimothy

yurp
Discovered k-punk via Hyperstition and CCRU in 2005, I think. I remember how intellectually impressive they all seemed, and how serious -- it was like philosophy and theory and being critical about the world actually mattered. Very inspiring for me, at the time. Sad news to hear that he's passed.

droid

Just seen Mark's wife Zoe post on his facebook page that Mark had taken his own life after a recent, extended bout of depression.
Mark succumbed to the demons that he had fought with his whole life. It seemed on the surface that he must have been past the worst of it, being a happy husband, father and published author, with books actually about his struggle, but of course you never really know.
Zoe said that she will post details of the funeral and that everyone is welcome.

Ah, thats devastating. I didnt know he had kids. Heart goes out to his close friends and family.

firefinga

I used to read his blog a lot around 2005, 2006. Not being from theUK and all, I sometimes didn't get all of what he was saying, but he put so much weight into his blog. What else can I say, he means a lot for many of dissensus' readers and contributors.

RIP.

continuum

smugpolice
RIP K-Punk.

Smugpolice is a name he came up with. His writing was amazing and I'm glad I got to tell him so through this forum.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
God, how awful. I never knew him but my sympathy goes out to those here who did. Weird to think a few of us were messing about on an ancient thread about (and featuring) him just the other day.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Sad news. I havent been to this forum for nealy 8 years, but his passing made me remember it and the informative and firey posts around here, and i thought i would come back!:love: