Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 124

Thread: why is ambient so popular now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,451

    Default why is ambient so popular now

    explain the resurgance of ambient drone etc
    the internet is too broad/vague. be specific.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,451

    Default

    my little sisters gone nuts for it over the last year and shes a very well adjusted human, down to earth, normal, not a freak.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Outside of your little sister who else is into it?

    The explanation, I would guess, is the internet.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,451

    Default

    must be the internet eh. lock thread.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case tbh as music has BECOME AMBIENT, whether or not it was designed to be.

    It's constantly accessible, and so constantly playing, in the background. Nobody sits down and listens to music without any distractions anymore.

    What is wanted, most of the time, is a pleasant accompaniment to browsing social media.

    I often read on the tube with music in my headphones, and I am constantly forced to stick on some ultra-agreeable classical music or ambient (Eno 'On Land') just so it doesn't distract me from reading.

    OFFTOPIC but its similar to the situation with visual art, in which we're so overwhelmed with images these days that images that used to shock or inspire or overwhelm people now have to be stared at for a considerable length of time, perhaps with explanatory captions, in order to puncture our overstimulated senses. Imagery is ambient too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    its similar to the situation with visual art, in which we're so overwhelmed with images these days that images that used to shock or inspire or overwhelm people now have to be stared at for a considerable length of time, perhaps with explanatory captions, in order to puncture our overstimulated senses. Imagery is ambient too.
    Sort-of Netflix for destressing:

    Moodica takes your brain on a much-needed vacation. Our oddly-satisfying videos let you escape anytime you need to de-stress.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Outside of your Bathmate X50 https://www.grosseteste.com/bathmate-x50-review-results and little sister who else is into it?

    The explanation, I would guess, is the internet.
    I quite like it too.
    Last edited by Zandown; 18-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,430

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,344

    Default

    Cafe OTO in black propoganda shocker.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    my little sisters gone nuts for it over the last year and shes a very well adjusted human, down to earth, normal, not a freak.
    Can you give examples of what she listens to

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,451

    Default

    william basinski
    grouper
    stars of the lid
    max richter
    pauline oliveros


    loads of stuff. insatiable appetite for it. came out the blue.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    What do you make of my half baked theory?

    Here's another one:

    It's a REFUGE from the madness of the ultra connected world. Unplug. Forget about Trump. Forget about Twitter. The feed.

    LISTEN TO THIS LOOP FOR 30 MINUTES.

    (SIDENOTE: growth of MINDFULNESS MEDITATION connected?)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,451

    Default

    i think all those theories are good theories. good point about images too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    What do you make of my half baked theory?

    Here's another one:

    It's a REFUGE from the madness of the ultra connected world. Unplug. Forget about Trump. Forget about Twitter. The feed.

    LISTEN TO THIS LOOP FOR 30 MINUTES.

    (SIDENOTE: growth of MINDFULNESS MEDITATION connected?)
    A quote from Mark Rothko to shore up my half baked theory on page 1

    When I was a younger man, art was a lonely thing. No galleries, no collectors, no critics, no money. Yet, it was a golden age, for we all had nothing to lose and a vision to gain. Today it is not quite the same. It is a time of tons of verbiage, activity, consumption. Which condition is better for the world at large I shall not venture to discuss. But I do know, that many of those who are driven to this life are desperately searching for those pockets of silence where we can root and grow. We must all hope we find them.

  15. #15

    Default ambient

    I think it is popular cuz
    it's a new genre .
    I am making an ambient music and if someone
    interested i can share some cool ambient samples

    https://www.lucidsamples.com/ambient...ce-sounds.html

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djlunar For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •