why is ambient so popular now

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i know this is a cringeworthy buddha loungey thing to do but yesterday (while high, natch) I had an ambient music accompanied shower and it was an absolute good, according to the categorical imperative

go forth, get high, have a shower listening to biosphere

luka

i know this is a cringeworthy buddha loungey thing to do but yesterday (while high, natch) I had an ambient music accompanied shower and it was an absolute good, according to the categorical imperative

go forth, get high, have a shower listening to biosphere

cant let the cringe keep you from the absolute good! particularly when no ones watching.

entertainment

The record store guy talked me into getting Ravedeath, 1972 by Tim Hecker because we were discussing ambient and I hadn't heard it. It's quite a nice experience playing ambient on vinyl. It's definitely easier to get drawn in and feel immersed in the textures. The album is also very good but apparently a classic in the genre.

Last edited:

luka

i really like the hecker stuff. ive picked this idea out of nowhere that hes maybe slightly less credible than some of the other artists but maybe im just imagining that.

entertainment

it's very generally praised, but I guess there could be an inherent trait about ambient that if it gets too popular or receives too mainstream acclaim, then it's compromized on some level.

droid

Generally held in high regard. I have my reservations myself. Too much digital noise at times.

I fell asleep when I saw him live.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I broke my hip in the shower listening to Tim Hecker

Drifted off and next thing I know I've got a faucet up my arse

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

it's ya boy

luka

i listened to this one
i enjoyed it. im sure your one is immeasurebly superior though. will investigate.

droid

Yeah, there's been a recent rash of Eno things to mark the airports anniversary.

We're trying to get out of our comfort zone for the radio shows. It would be very easy to just do two hours of mixing, but interviews and chats are more interesting for the listener I think.

luka

Yeah, there's been a recent rash of Eno things to mark the airports anniversary.

We're trying to get out of our comfort zone for the radio shows. It would be very easy to just do two hours of mixing, but interviews and chats are more interesting for the listener I think.

radio is the voice. it's the whole point.

luka

having your own voice recorded is terrifying and humiliating of course but it's what gives radio it's special intimacy. how it creates its bond with the listener.

droid

Coming from pirate radio in the 90's it was all about the music, and for us, all about the mixing, hard to break away from that. TBH, Id rather do the mixing in the studio with all the gear, the projectors, & the I Ching, though everytime we do a talky show we get a comment telling us to shut up.

Last edited: