why is ambient so popular now

luka

can reynolds actually talk off the cuff about eno in this amount of detail or did he have a script or notes or something?

the voices were the best thing in pirate radio!

"Well out of that now, into this--sounds of the Lucky Spin, believer! Along with the MC OC, along with the full studio crew. Heh heh heh heh, lively business! Echo?! Hah hah! Here we go now, shout going out to Rattle, you know the koo. Cooked food, love it to the bone! To the marrow! Normality, believe! L-I-V-E and direct, to the koo. Are you ready, wind your waist crew? Are you ready, headnodding crew? And those who's driving around Don-land North East South and West, we've got you locked!!! Come again! Sounds of the Lucky Spin, sounds of the Stevie Hill--to all massives, all crew. A shout going out to Jim and Emma... Jim and Emma, get out of John's bed, right here, right now--the sounds of the Don will show you how. C'mon! Do-it-like-this! 10- 57, get on the case, for the hardcore, hardcore bass. For ya face--100 percent bass! Alright, red-eye crew, you know the koo. Going out to you, wind your waist crew.... headnodding crew....and those who's l-l-l-lickin' it in Don-land in their cars, yes, driving about Don-land, the Don-ites and your Don-'eads. Do-it-like-this, jungalist! Believe me, 'ardkore's firing!"
--- MC OC on Don FM, 1993

All through the Nineties, London's 'ardkore rave and jungle pirate stations have disrupted the decorum of the FM airwaves with their vulgar fervour and rude-boy attitude. Pirate DJ's unleash a mad multi-generic mash-up of hip hop breakbeats, dub-reggae bass and Euro-rave synth-bombast. The MC surfs this polyrhythmic pandemonium with a freestyle Dada-doggerel of druggy buzzwords, party-hard exhortations and outlaw war-cries: sublime "nonsense" that is purely invocatory, designed to bind its scattered addressees into a community, mobilise it into an army.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070216121155/http://www.furious.com:80/Perfect/simonreynolds.html

droid

That was mostly based on his RBMA piece so he'd done all the research, but yeah, 9 AM Sunday morning in LA as well.

Voices on pirates are brilliant, but mostly if you have an MC.

luka

i have a real soft spot for when the djs used to talk before the mcs took over. spangled cockneys and their absurdist comedy. halcyon days.

droid

Interesting line up. Richter, I'm a bit lukewarm on. Aurelia-Smith I really like but she played a gig here last month and reaction from the cognoscenti was mixed.

Ask your sis if she's still tapping that ambient source I linked her up with.

luka

somehow seem to be going to a different ambient gig every week. tomorrow its fennesz and basinski by candlelight lol

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
when mr tea sees you trying to take his job hes guna go apeshit

Fnar! :)

On the subject of ambient, I was having fun bowing my bass a few weeks ago (oo er missus, etc.) and said to woops that we should do an improv drone gig next time I'm in London - analogue modular synth plus electric bass played with a cello bow, tons of chorus FX, distortion, reverb, the whole lot. Could be good I reckon. Although when it will ever happen, I wouldn't like to say...

luka

Fnar! :)

On the subject of ambient, I was having fun bowing my bass a few weeks ago (oo er missus, etc.) and said to woops that we should do an improv drone gig next time I'm in London - analogue modular synth plus electric bass played with a cello bow, tons of chorus FX, distortion, reverb, the whole lot. Could be good I reckon.

hes still upset and still broods about you and idle rich not doing anything to push your
'g-spot' project foward. you need to make it up to him. you know how sensitive and
emotional he gets.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hes still upset and still broods about you and idle rich not doing anything to push your
'g-spot' project foward. you need to make it up to him. you know how sensitive and
emotional he gets.

Well I did put a couple of tracks together but it was basically us fucking around and recording it for a few hours and then me trying to make something out of it afterwards in Ableton. Would have been easier if I'd still been living in London at that point, I suppose.