Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: why is ambient so popular now

it's ya boy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...1-1-california

Possibly would fit better in the drone thread but I never check the drone thread out so I'll forget I posted this link here and forget to watch it too

The Terekke LP on MFM is one of the better things I've heard this year.

https://soundcloud.com/music-from-memory/sets/mfm-028-terekke-improvisational-loops

We did an Eno special on our radio show. Its OK.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DublinDigit...ue-strategist/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

i listened to this one
    https://www.mixcloud.com/musicophili...nce-1974-2018/
    i enjoyed it. im sure your one is immeasurebly superior though. will investigate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Yeah, there's been a recent rash of Eno things to mark the airports anniversary.

We're trying to get out of our comfort zone for the radio shows. It would be very easy to just do two hours of mixing, but interviews and chats are more interesting for the listener I think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Yeah, there's been a recent rash of Eno things to mark the airports anniversary.

We're trying to get out of our comfort zone for the radio shows. It would be very easy to just do two hours of mixing, but interviews and chats are more interesting for the listener I think.
    radio is the voice. it's the whole point.

having your own voice recorded is terrifying and humiliating of course but it's what gives radio it's special intimacy. how it creates its bond with the listener.

Coming from pirate radio in the 90's it was all about the music, and for us, all about the mixing, hard to break away from that. TBH, Id rather do the mixing in the studio with all the gear, the projectors, & the I Ching, though everytime we do a talky show we get a comment telling us to shut up.
    Last edited by droid; 01-05-2018 at 08:54 PM.

can reynolds actually talk off the cuff about eno in this amount of detail or did he have a script or notes or something?

the voices were the best thing in pirate radio!

"Well out of that now, into this--sounds of the Lucky Spin, believer! Along with the MC OC, along with the full studio crew. Heh heh heh heh, lively business! Echo?! Hah hah! Here we go now, shout going out to Rattle, you know the koo. Cooked food, love it to the bone! To the marrow! Normality, believe! L-I-V-E and direct, to the koo. Are you ready, wind your waist crew? Are you ready, headnodding crew? And those who's driving around Don-land North East South and West, we've got you locked!!! Come again! Sounds of the Lucky Spin, sounds of the Stevie Hill--to all massives, all crew. A shout going out to Jim and Emma... Jim and Emma, get out of John's bed, right here, right now--the sounds of the Don will show you how. C'mon! Do-it-like-this! 10- 57, get on the case, for the hardcore, hardcore bass. For ya face--100 percent bass! Alright, red-eye crew, you know the koo. Going out to you, wind your waist crew.... headnodding crew....and those who's l-l-l-lickin' it in Don-land in their cars, yes, driving about Don-land, the Don-ites and your Don-'eads. Do-it-like-this, jungalist! Believe me, 'ardkore's firing!"
    --- MC OC on Don FM, 1993

All through the Nineties, London's 'ardkore rave and jungle pirate stations have disrupted the decorum of the FM airwaves with their vulgar fervour and rude-boy attitude. Pirate DJ's unleash a mad multi-generic mash-up of hip hop breakbeats, dub-reggae bass and Euro-rave synth-bombast. The MC surfs this polyrhythmic pandemonium with a freestyle Dada-doggerel of druggy buzzwords, party-hard exhortations and outlaw war-cries: sublime "nonsense" that is purely invocatory, designed to bind its scattered addressees into a community, mobilise it into an army.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200702161...nreynolds.html

That was mostly based on his RBMA piece so he'd done all the research, but yeah, 9 AM Sunday morning in LA as well.

Voices on pirates are brilliant, but mostly if you have an MC.

i have a real soft spot for when the djs used to talk before the mcs took over. spangled cockneys and their absurdist comedy. halcyon days.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    We did an Eno special on our radio show. Its OK.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DublinDigit...ue-strategist/
    this is great. proper professional. me and luka need to up our radio game. talk about buccaneer in soft irish accents.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post: