Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: why is ambient so popular now

It think that's a fundamental misreading. Unlike a lot of artists I don't think he's ever been shy about admitting that his primary mode of operation is synthesis, and that is how culture evolves - by accretion, recontextualising other people's ideas to produce something new, or delivering something old in a new context.

He's quite like Bowie in that respect, chameleon, corinthian, comedian and caricature. He's the chancer, the gadfly, the dilettante, the salesman, the faker, being in the right place at the right time... but he's also, simultaneously the innovator, the autodidact, the propagandist, the risk taker, the instigator.

His current status doesnt matter. His body of work stands up for itself, and its one of the most influential and consistently brilliant of any 20th century artist.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    is ambient on some level philosophically or spiritually opposed to ideas like progression, innovation, linearity of time?

it seems to be about suspension from time.... the dilation of the now.... or it can be elegaic and memoradelic (as with On Land or The Caretaker or whoever)

perhaps to evolve would be to go against its fundamental nature, or its deepest drives
    It depends if we're talking about sonic evolution or functional evolution. If the former, I think we can point to plenty of examples, countless sub genres, phases of development.

If the latter, the question Id ask is why would we expect it to? Has dance music evolved beyond its core function? Jazz? Rock?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    is ambient on some level philosophically or spiritually opposed to ideas like progression, innovation, linearity of time?

it seems to be about suspension from time.... the dilation of the now.... or it can be elegaic and memoradelic (as with On Land or The Caretaker or whoever)

perhaps to evolve would be to go against its fundamental nature, or its deepest drives
    Isn't this the Ben Watson line? The reason he thinks it is evil and must be destroyed (strongly suspect it is tied in with his violent loathing for David ocean of sound Toop as well)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

What bliss bloggers comments make me think about and question is what we mean when we say art "evolves". I'm not saying it's wrong to say that, but when you start thinking about what evolution is, scientifically, it seems like a trickier concept than you might assume. Probably a different thread there, though

And also the word "progress", it's a loaded term, isn't it? It doesn't just imply change or movement.

I use these words all the time myself. The other day I was saying that drum n bass was a regression from the extremity of jungle.

We've done that at some length at least once recently. It's largely about mapping the possibility tree

Just the voice.

This is an outstanding record:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

We did a Seefeel special. Its alright.

https://www.mixcloud.com/DublinDigit...fford-profile/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post: