Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: why is ambient so popular now

Newage definitely had a rediscovering / resurgence around the end of the 00s, the records became more sort after, people started digging up rare tapes etc, Indie bands started incorporating influences, pitchfork wrote articles etc. Ambient's resurgence has come along with that somewhat. It seeped into all the Lil B, Cloud Rap hip hop then that sound became more and more prevalent in hip hop. Then you have things like chillwave/vaporwave/seawave, artists like OPN, Dedekind Cut etc all which have elements of ambient music. Of course there's Burial and all the imitators, then later people like Logos, Mr Mitch, Visionist, Fatima Al Qadiri etc whose music has elements of newage or ambient woven in. There have also been quite a few reissues of tapes & lps, compilations, new labels, radio shows etc in the last 5/10 years, so it definitely has more of a presence. There's also the balearic scene which leans into ambient pretty heavily and that stuff's going pretty strong right now.

I don't really know how well new straight up ambient sells as that's not really my thing, but the genre's influence seems to be everywhere these days.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trillhouse For This Useful Post:

I coined a new phrase to describe all that Ben Frost style power ambient bullshit.

'Manbient'.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

To answer the initial question: I think it's the promise of integrity/authenticity, driven to the extreme in case of vaporwave (non-integrity as authentic) and noise (idem). It's music that lives on that paradox and so generates space to surprise.

Youarelistening.to mixes ambient music with police scanner radio, air-traffic control, numbers stations, spoken word & a bunch of other random things. Found footage, musique concrete, and the perfect ambience.
    http://youarelisteningtolosangeles.com

http://www.nts.live/shows/youarelist...8th-march-2017

Well, its definitely not only a thing among sisters, etc. Pitchfork has an (admittedly good) ambient collection as its best new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Outside of your little sister who else is into it?

The explanation, I would guess, is the internet.
    I quite like it too.

Cafe OTO in black propoganda shocker.

i remember ambient being popular with dads in the 1990s - usually post-hippie types with hi-fi stereos and full beards

Considering ambient's druggy past and the promise of bliss in its more new agey variants, the link with work is maybe even more on the mark than that flyer describes. The ambient ethic and the spirit of Capitalism!

Personally, the last year I listened mainly to minimal classical-ambient-vaporwave and it's indeed largely because I nowadays listen to music almost exclusively while working.

Quote Originally Posted by m99188868 View Post
    Well, its definitely not only a thing among sisters, etc. Pitchfork has an (admittedly good) ambient collection as its best new album.
    And its not even that great.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    And its not even that great.
    They have come a long way, though: 10 years ago Daft Punk & Justice were their best albums, as far as non-rock goes. What did you think of their list of 50 best ambient albums?

Dont get me started!

Oh, but you know you want to

Nah, said my piece at the time... I have it somewhere.