why is ambient so popular now

droid

I've never liked any of that mid-90s electronica ambient proper, Biosphere, Pete Namlook, Global Communication

Biosphere... the first LP is quite chill out but has some nice moments, the later more isolationist stuff is generally quite good.

Namlook/GC, Im not so keen on, but I would say that along with Rising high they are epitomes of 90's chill out and define that particular aesthetic.

SAW 2 stands alone amongst 90's electronica ambient in many ways. Its light years away from the chill out end in terms of minimalism, mood and texture - more akin to canonical Eno. Tunes like this cannot be denied.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the real point is that ambient is the most amorphous of genres

or "ambient" the genre vs the property of ambience or whatever

virtually anything could be massage music if you play it in the background at a low enough volume

droid

I do think SAW II is overrated to some extent, but Ive had a difficult relationship with it through the years. Back in the day, It was one of those records I was afraid to put on whilst under the influence of certain substances.

That's not something anyone will ever say about a FAX release.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Yeah this is shit. Buddha Lounge vibes.

Perhaps the more interesting division would be between ambient which is NOT SHIT but also not particularly good and ambient which is particularly good. As you say it's all a matter of aesthetic judgement/taste. I guess I'm interested in what it is that makes an ambient track stick out for a coniosseur - but maybe it's one of those things you have to be a coniosseur to be able to hear.

padraig (u.s.)

90's chill out and define that particular aesthetic

yes, that is precisely what I can't stand. chill has to be one of the most abused words in the English language in recent times.

iirc that era was like your first love, right? Mixmaster Morris and all that. I respect that.

that first AFX you put up is pretty good, not as keen on the second one. I wasn't being totally serious, it's not my favorite thing but ofc he's operating on a totally different level from those other people.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe one metric (if metrics we must have) of judgement would be how cliché ridden a track is. Anything using a digeridoo or eastern spiritual chanting or crickets chirping etc.

I really like the aphex stuff generally. I guess some of it falls into clichés of sinister sounds but the best stuff feels inhuman but organic. Like it has been recorded not created almost?

droid

I dunno. Its difficult to pinpoint the precise qualities which elevate a piece of music - like with any genre. Youd have the same problem with rock, jazz, house etc.

I guess, when Im trawling through endless ambient playlists there's a few questions I ask myself. Does it make me feel something? Do I feel compelled to leave it on? Can I use it in some way?

padraig (u.s.)

my definition of "ambient" is broad, but it definitely includes things I don't think you could call massage music, i.e.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I have found that, listening to Eno for example, an ambient track tends to be damaged or even ruined by too obvious an intervention on the part of the composer.

'An author in his book must be like God in the universe, present everywhere and visible nowhere.' - Flaubert, reviewing 'On Land' in The Wire, 1852

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
But I concede your point, and ambient is surely the LAST genre which one should expect to be explicable via language.

droid

yes, that is precisely what I can't stand. chill has to be one of the most abused words in the English language in recent times.

iirc that era was like your first love, right? Mixmaster Morris and all that. I respect that.

that first AFX you put up is pretty good, not as keen on the second one. I wasn't being totally serious, it's not my favorite thing but ofc he's operating on a totally different level from those other people.

No, not quite, my early trajectory was Bowie>Eno>Kraftwerk>Aphex>U-ziq>FSOL>Autechre. I certainly played a fair amount of chill out back in the day, but that was my job, and I went deep into the more austere end of electronica once I had the money and resources.

Never had much love for the cheesier end of things, though I did admire Morris for his diversity and approach to mixing.

And even with the Namlook disses - he did have his moments.