why is ambient so popular now

trilliam

love affair with wordless music (<3) reached it's logical conclusion at the start of the year when i stumbled upon these during a nightshift, 2 weeks later im googling "EBM"

droid

Some more Japanese minimalism, from a series of records designed to accompany prefabricated housing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Eno's discreet music was very popular last weekend at a music festival in a tent when we were all bedding down on valium.

droid

Doing some research on Ojima and discovered that Music for Spiral was another corporate environmental LP!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What do you make of my half baked theory?

Here's another one:

It's a REFUGE from the madness of the ultra connected world. Unplug. Forget about Trump. Forget about Twitter. The feed.

LISTEN TO THIS LOOP FOR 30 MINUTES.

(SIDENOTE: growth of MINDFULNESS MEDITATION connected?)

A quote from Mark Rothko to shore up my half baked theory on page 1

When I was a younger man, art was a lonely thing. No galleries, no collectors, no critics, no money. Yet, it was a golden age, for we all had nothing to lose and a vision to gain. Today it is not quite the same. It is a time of tons of verbiage, activity, consumption. Which condition is better for the world at large I shall not venture to discuss. But I do know, that many of those who are driven to this life are desperately searching for those pockets of silence where we can root and grow. We must all hope we find them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm intrigued to know what (if anything) droid makes of this burial choon

Is this ambient? Is it any good?

Personally it's one of the few recent things of his I have liked. I like the idea of him dropping the garagey percussion and submitting to his talent for atmospherics, but perhaps something is lost. What ISN'T lost (the echoey footsteps etc.) I would prefer he lose. It's clichés of his own style garishly stamped on something more mysterious.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That (via a YouTube comment) has led me to this

I want pointing in the direction of dark ambient - the heirs to 'On Land', basically.

droid

I'm intrigued to know what (if anything) droid makes of this burial choon

Is this ambient? Is it any good?

Personally it's one of the few recent things of his I have liked. I like the idea of him dropping the garagey percussion and submitting to his talent for atmospherics, but perhaps something is lost. What ISN'T lost (the echoey footsteps etc.) I would prefer he lose. It's clichés of his own style garishly stamped on something more mysterious.

Yeah, its not bad. has a slight Basinski meets Caretaker buzz to it. More rigorous than I would have expected given his predilection for Enya vibes. Nothing to really make it stand out in the ambient field and a touch too much structure perhaps.

There's a couple of short ambient bits on the first LP that I rate though.