why is ambient so popular now

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When I used to make music on Reason I used to slow down tracks by dozens of BPM and then apply reverb to the track. Sometimes the most innocuous track would be rendered beautiful or mysterious by this process. Guess it's like when people slow down a Justin Bieber tune by 200% or whatever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember thinking I should start a thread when all those "[X] slowed down by 800%" tracks were popular on YouTube a few years ago, but never got round to it. It turned stuff like the Simpsons theme - or glossily produced chart pop, as you mention - into great slabs of epic, glacial beauty. It struck me as the sort of sound Sigur Ros were aiming for, but didn't achieve quite as well as this totally accidental discovery.

luka

pinks and purples, pixellated palm trees, unrequited love for anime heroine, motorbike race through future tokyo, metallic sphere design rendering over 72 hr time period, neon sunset, malibu jetski, the windows logo,

luka

its part of the upping of the obscurity stakes too i think. like how there are now teenagers with extensive japanese yacht rock mp3 collections.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember thinking I should start a thread when all those "[X] slowed down by 800%" tracks were popular on YouTube a few years ago, but never got round to it. It turned stuff like the Simpsons theme - or glossily produced chart pop, as you mention - into great slabs of epic, glacial beauty.

Check it:

Imagine listening to that while tripping!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not the sort of thing it'd ever occur to me listen to, but I remember enjoying as a little 'un when my parents put it on sometimes. With regard to vapourwave, it makes sense that people in their 20s and 30s are making music influenced by what they heard their parents listening to in the 90s/80s.

firefinga

But to get back to the original question I have the impression people are not going out that much any more, so Ambient would be the natural choice of the homebody-massive?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think we've established if ambient actually IS so popular now, or if it's just luka's sister.

luka

plus ive just invested in a job lot of bean bags, and a piece of red silk to drape over my angle poise lamp for the ambient chillout club im opening in my living room

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, can I come? I'll bring some hash, really nice stuff. The BEST hash. Seriously, buhlieve me.