Dissensus Convocation

luka

It would have been quite serious if he fell into the canal. Would have got more than his feet wet.

craner

Beast of Burden
That's what you told me, pal! I didn't actually witness the water incident. I was probably still in the pub enjoying my cocktail, having not been ejected for being covered in paint.

droid

Yeah... problem is, I dont drink.

But Ill go with it if thats the consensus. Is the Friday night OK for people?

droid

Cold feet.

Had a very unpleasant experience here. Went with a group of friends, all bought drinks, however after my boyfriend and I had put our empties on the bar we were aggressively confronted and physically shoved by the landlord who demanded we buy drinks or leave. After defending us and showing their half full drinks our friends and we were all turned out. It seemed we were picked on for being a gay couple as it was when we were standing together at the bar that the barman confronted us. In summary a very unpleasant experience of physically aggressive and homophobic publican- do not go here.

This evening was the final straw. I went in to buy a pint and use the toilet, however because I had been sitting on Regent’s Canal (which my flat backs onto and the pub overlooks) – enjoying the live music from a travelling band & having a drink with my fiancé & our dog – I was told, in no uncertain terms, that “we don’t need your type”.
I tried to reason that I was not just coming in to use to facilities, instead I was hoping to buy a drink (& also was a local who comes to the pub a lot), however I was again refused service. Not only could I not use the toilet, I was barred from purchasing anything from the bar.
I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, however neither I nor anyone I have spoken to has had a pleasant experience in the pub.

I was illegally refused tap water too (see https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-licensing , providing free tap water on request is a mandatory licensing condition since 2010) , and dared to report them to the licensing authority. And that is exactly what I will be doing, I am usually easy going but there are some things I won't stand for: I have never been either refused tap water in a pub before, nor treated so rudely and ignorently by a publican - who first pretended not to hear my request, then lied about the law, then moaned about the cost of mains water and all manner of excuses for not meeting her legal responsibilities as a licensee - and this treatment completely overshadowed the positive aspects of the establishment (traditional décor, nice cider, nice surroundings), as well as convincing me not to buy the second drink I may well have bought.

Yes, the pub has character and live music sometimes but service is abysmal. If you'd like to be in a cash-only, homophobic, unhygienic and sing-along 1950s atmosphere, you will feel at home. I love old east end music but it's just not worth it.

luka

They've been plagued with passive aggressive, entitled middle class provincials slumming it for a few years in London before they can afford a mortgage in Surrey. These people should be made to feel unwelcome. It's how you preserve the character of your establishment. It's true they kicked me and my brother out once in 2004 but we were very very very drunk. Otherwise they've always been perfect.

luka

They don't have a problem with anyone who's not acting like a Dick. Craner would go in there with his Michael Heseltine hair, blazer, bootcut jeans and insist on drinking wine and they treated him just like anybody else cos he behaved himself.

droid

ye-ah, Im just not to fond of pubs to begin with, and this sounds like the pubbiest pub in existence.

The main priority is that people show up and enjoy themselves, but my ideal venue would be a quietish, not too raucous or crowded room, that may or may not serve drinks.

luka

only thing i could think of that would fufil those critera are someones home or squatting an area of the barbican or royal festival hall

sufi

lala
well i just have this non-intriguing space in my workplace near old st
no winkles on the bar
no bar

luka

id be happy to sufi although i dont thnk venue is very important. more vital to get as many clashing personalities and weirdos in the same room and enjoy the results.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They've been plagued with passive aggressive, entitled middle class provincials slumming it for a few years in London before they can afford a mortgage in Surrey. These people should be made to feel unwelcome. It's how you preserve the character of your establishment. It's true they kicked me and my brother out once in 2004 but we were very very very drunk. Otherwise they've always been perfect.

Maybe so, but if the landlord turfed out two guys for being a couple then that's unacceptable in a pretty absolute way, isn't it?

droid

They'd better fucking approve my conference request now, thats all I can say.

Would like the option of Sufi's room investigated pls. Check for trapdoors etc.