Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: It's great when you're straight

I don't think he ever said that white privelege was a myth. He said that while white people have priveleges, he's opposed to the idea of targeting people with blame simply because of their race. I hardly think that that's racist. He has probably argued that the rise of the right is fueled by the rise of the left, yes. Not feminism alone, though, I don't think so.

The cultural marxist theorising is where he goes off the rails, but even that stuff isn't inherently surpressive of minorities. It might correlate with the views of the alt-right, but the context of their agenda is completely disjunct from Peterson's field of focus, which is personal and not political empowerment. Plus he attributes the majority of these claims to the radical left through their application of identity politics, something he explicitly criticizes the radical right for as well. If he wanted to promote alt-right ideas, why would he warn against decending into the white identity politics of the right? His most substantial claim against the left is one he makes against the right, too.

I don't even agree with him and I think his philosophies are bollocks but I think that it's important not to just call him a nazi and dismiss his arguments on the basis of circumstantial evidence, because it would drive quite a lot of impressionable young men towards the right (or further towards the right if you wanna call it that).

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Like, fucking leave cathy newman alone, jesus christ. Have you actually heard what he's saying?
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I just don't think she did feminism any favors with the way she represented its ethos in that interview.

Why is what he says in the video irrelevant? Why put all the focus on her?

the appeal of the video is him supposedly "destroying", "demolishing" and even "raping" a "radical feminist" apparently, from a casual glance at youtube. This guy fuels this type of stuff. Certainly wouldnt post it on my fb wall, unless it was to point out he's a cock..
    Jesus fucking Christ, Benny, this is starting to look like a fixation. Seriously, I can't remember the last time you contributed to a thread except to rant about rape. You're worse than Dan and Syria or luka with his conspiracies. It really doesn't look at healthy to me. Try thinking about something else for five minutes.

And if you can't leave it alone then at least try thinking with your brain instead of your ideology for once. I mention Newman specifically because I find it hard to believe that an interviewer on a supposedly quality current events programme would give such a dishonest and terrible interview. He states his positions and then backs them up with arguments and evidence. And every single time, she contorts his words into something totally different, or even inverts them completely, to try and make him look like biggest arsehole possible. "Men and women are exactly equal in average intelligence." "So you're saying women earn less because they're stupid?" - for half an hour. It's a travesty. You might have picked up on this yourself if you'd actually listened to what each of them was saying instead of seething at your TV through a red mist.

I'm not saying this because I'm championing the guy, as much as you would obviously love me to. By the sound of it he has some interesting ideas about psychology, which is after all his field, some rather crazy and less worthwhile ideas about politics and has written what sounds like a very dull, worthy and Protestant book about succeeding in life by pulling your socks up and eating your crusts. Beyond that I know nothing about him, other than that he initially shot to fame (or notoriety) in an incident over pronouns - which, if anything, I'd have thought might have endeared him to you, given your less than enlightened views on transgender people.

Finally your attempt to implicate him in violent language and threats against Newman (which are obviously indefensible) is ridiculous. He spent the whole interview being respectful in the face of her aggressive condescension and afterwards made a public appeal for people not to harass her. So much for your rape-inciting ogre.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-02-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    That stuff is nasty, but you can't blame Peterson fueling it. He handles himself well and is polite to her throughout inspite of incessant ad hominem spewing from her side. If anyone is to blame, it's her for providing a strawman of her own cause and validating the alt-right in their notion of feminism as breeding hostility towards men.
    Yes, exactly. She's going out of her way to set herself up as a hate figure.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Like, fucking leave cathy newman alone, jesus christ.
    Is this the new 'Leave Britney alone!' meme?

Have you actually heard what he's saying?
    What, things like "you can't force women to be engineers or men to be nurses"? Heavens to Betsy! Pass the smelling salts!

eh as if i reduce every conversation to a conspiracy theory leave it out. triggered.

I did say he was worse than you! But you do love a good conspiracy theory, that's hardly a secret.

but benny turns every thread to rad fem. even ones where there is no possible connection to be made! it's a different thing. i just like conspiracy like i like jungle music.

like this thread for instance which is about my 6 months booze free smartphone free purtian lifestyle no hippy weed no slouching

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    but benny turns every thread to rad fem. even ones where there is no possible connection to be made! it's a different thing. i just like conspiracy like i like jungle music.
    Yeah it's cool, it wasn't a diss. Certainly provides some relief from endless threads about Trump, Brexit, mental illness and various wars in the Middle East.

but benny turns every thread to rad fem. even ones where there is no possible connection to be made!
    Lol luka, what a shit-stirrer!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benny B For This Useful Post:

Lol luka, what a shit-stirrer!
    someones gota stir the pot! and it's been a long time since you posted a funky house mix lets be honest

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

no slouching
    taking friday off so you can do a track by track dissection of only built for cuban linx with a bloke 15 years younger than you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    taking friday off so you can do a track by track dissection of only built for cuban linx with a bloke 15 years younger than you.
    an artist never takes a day off. we're always working.

cultivating this highly rarefied state of consciousness

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: