Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: It's great when you're straight

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    cultivating this highly rarefied state of consciousness
    I thought you'd stopped getting high?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

What, things like "you can't force women to be engineers or men to be nurses"? Heavens to Betsy! Pass the smelling salts!
    Er, I think theres quite a lot more to it than this mr tea, but happy to let this one lie by this point - well, maybe til the next time luke decides to stir the pot

The problem with the whole focus on Cathy Newman's performance as a journalist is that it lays bare double standards of the most obvious kind. The issue is not whether she's a good interviewer or not; it's why this is even considered an issue in 'evaluating' the abuse she received.

It's fine and barely ever remarked on for Paxman or Snow to do badly researched, leading, hectoring interviews (and the standards they keep to are generally low), but as soon as a woman does the same thing, suddenly everything else drops away and the focus is all upon her, with the alarming subtext, sometimes articulated and sometime non-articulated, that the misogynist abuse directed at her is something she brought upon herself/her fault. As if misogynist abuse is something that is regrettable and horrible, but sometimes, y'know, if a woman doesn't perform an interview very well, that's just what happens and is kind of a result of her not being good at interviewing.

And then when this is pointed out, well of course that's not the case, of course we're not justifying the abuse in any way... but hey... there does still seem to remain some mysterious, ineffable connection between CN's skill as a journalist and the fact that men are making rape threats against her and calling her a bitch. And that's just life isn't it, nothing to do with us, no way...
    Last edited by baboon2004; 11-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, another good baboon post there.

Finally your attempt to implicate him in violent language and threats against Newman (which are obviously indefensible) is ridiculous. He spent the whole interview being respectful in the face of her aggressive condescension and afterwards made a public appeal for people not to harass her. .
    Sorry, just one more thing i'd like to point out about JBP's supposed respectfulness:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...85332367486976

Jordan was so calmly situated in the positive masculine polarity, remaining unruffled and cheerful despite the intensity, that it neutralized her masculine attack and brought out the feminine. She did her job, and she enjoyed him.
    0 replies 2 retweets 25 likes

"Watch how he handles this girl… and watch how his solidity as a man, relieves her of the need to “be the man.” How that process makes her joyful… and (I would argue) turns her on."

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    "Watch how he handles this girl… and watch how his solidity as a man, relieves her of the need to “be the man.” How that process makes her joyful… and (I would argue) turns her on."
    "Yeah. Cathy Newman is that kind of girl. She is not just a ditsy, dismissive “club chick.” She is an alpha female. She needed the “rub.” And she got it in healthy portions."

Major Key To Transgenderism!!! Bisphenol A Creates Baphomets!!! Dangerous Gender Bending Plastics/Receipt/Aluminum Chemical Is In 90% American Blood!!!! Detox From Bisphenol A In 10 Days!!! Theory: Transgenderism Is Chemical-Based

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Er, I think theres quite a lot more to it than this mr tea, but happy to let this one lie by this point - well, maybe til the next time luke decides to stir the pot
    Well, that didn't take long

Sorry, just one more thing i'd like to point out about JBP's supposed respectfulness:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...85332367486976
    Good god, he's hardly threatening to tie her down and violate her, is he?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Well, that didn't take long
    er, i'll be off now. more into my time barrier thread anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    The problem with the whole focus on Cathy Newman's performance as a journalist is that it lays bare double standards of the most obvious kind. The issue is not whether she's a good interviewer or not; it's why this is even considered an issue in 'evaluating' the abuse she received.

It's fine and barely ever remarked on for Paxman or Snow to do badly researched, leading, hectoring interviews (and the standards they keep to are generally low), but as soon as a woman does the same thing, suddenly everything else drops away and the focus is all upon her, with the alarming subtext, sometimes articulated and sometime non-articulated, that the misogynist abuse directed at her is something she brought upon herself/her fault. As if misogynist abuse is something that is regrettable and horrible, but sometimes, y'know, if a woman doesn't perform an interview very well, that's just what happens and is kind of a result of her not being good at interviewing.

And then when this is pointed out, well of course that's not the case, of course we're not justifying the abuse in any way... but hey... there does still seem to remain some mysterious, ineffable connection between CN's skill as a journalist and the fact that men are making rape threats against her and calling her a bitch. And that's just life isn't it, nothing to do with us, no way...
    Horseshit. The double standard here is the one you're arguing for by insisting she should be treated with kid gloves because she's (only! merely!) a woman. I thought I'd made it abundantly clear that personal abuse and threats are never justified, but that doesn't mean she should be above all criticism. And the point about making herself a target (for criticism, if I have to spell it out for you, again) is totally valid. If you were a right-wing satirist trying to write a sketch poking fun at a stereotypical 'stupid, irrational, aggressive feminist', you couldn't do much better than the performance she gave in that interview.

Paxman may be a hectoring bully but I've never seen him do an interview anything like that flatly farcical. You're not stupid, you'd be able to see this yourself if you watched without the preconception that you were witnessing a battle between avatars of Good and Evil.

John Humphries is properly shit morning after morning on The Today Programme. 600k salary and no criticism until recently.

He was shit with Nick Griffin, he was shit with Farage, he was shit with Tommy Robinson.

No outcry, except from weirdo lefties on twitter like me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Horseshit. The double standard here is the one you're arguing for by insisting she should be treated with kid gloves because she's (only! merely!) a woman. I thought I'd made it abundantly clear that personal abuse and threats are never justified, but that doesn't mean she should be above all criticism. And the point about making herself a target (for criticism, if I have to spell it out for you, again) is totally valid. If you were a right-wing satirist trying to write a sketch poking fun at a stereotypical 'stupid, irrational, aggressive feminist', you couldn't do much better than the performance she gave in that interview.

Paxman may be a hectoring bully but I've never seen him do an interview anything like that flatly farcical. You're not stupid, you'd be able to see this yourself if you watched without the preconception that you were witnessing a battle between avatars of Good and Evil.
    "She's (CN) going out of her way to set herself up as a hate figure." That's not making it clear that personal abuse and threats are never justified - it suggests the opposite but in obfuscatory language (what does 'setting herself up as a hate figure' mean if not 'inviting hatred'). And no-one said Cathy Newman should be above all criticism - diversionary tactics.

"Treated with kid gloves" = not being subject to misogynist abuse and rape threats for doing a poor interview? That's a bit alarming, isn't it.

And the "only! merely! a woman" bit is a spectacular refusal of reality, by pretending that responding to oppression is 'patronising' those who are protected by such a response. Men don't face rape threats for going on TV and saying something that some men deem upsetting or annoying. Women do.

I honestly don't see what's so difficult about recognising that women have a completely different experience from men because of structural oppression/constant discrimination/whatever you want to call it, but a lot of men seem to find it more perplexing than quantum mechanics/the rules of rugby union. Weird.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 11-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

am watching this now, Newman is well composed, 1:56 and I'm already getting riled up at his order and chaos dualism, its crass religious sociology for people who want to set emselves above the plebeian hordes. These people will do more harm to materialism than idpoliticers ever will.

Am a guy for what that is worth.
    Last edited by thirdform; 11-02-2018 at 08:52 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post: