Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 506

Thread: It's great when you're straight

  1. #481
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Yes mr tea, the beatles are responsible for charles manson, thats obviously what I was saying
    Well hang on a sec, a few pages ago you said

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    the appeal of the video is him supposedly "destroying", "demolishing" and even "raping" a "radical feminist" apparently, from a casual glance at youtube. This guy fuels this type of stuff. Certainly wouldnt post it on my fb wall, unless it was to point out he's a cock..
    In what way, exactly, is he 'fuel[ing] this type of stuff'? As I've already pointed out, he remained polite to Newman throughout the interview in the face of her provocation and aggression, and afterwards publicly appealed for people to leave her alone. I'm struggling to see how the actions of some dickheads on Youtube therefore reflect badly on him or are somehow his fault.

    I mention Manson and the Beatles because they 'fuelled' him, as far as he was concerned - that doesn't make them responsible for the actions of a totally independent actor.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    this is no doubt tedious for all concerned so I'll try and keep it short

    'fuelling' something is not the same as saying they are totally or directly responsible for something, which I obviously (well, it was to me at least) did not mean. JBP contributes to fuelling this "stuff" because he's a well known figure who espouses sexist, misogynist ideas in our culture. No, he is not particularly special in that regard, but I never said he was, though he does appear to be quite influential.

    We've already been over the Newman interview I think. Just because JBP was polite on the surface, is a psychology professor, and didn't post rape threats on youtube, it doesn't change any of the above. Then he did post a creepy macho response on twitter. They always show their true colours.

    The manson/beatles thing doesn't work because there is an actual, sane connection here between the two things in this case, unfortunately.

    I'm truly sorry if i embarrassed you earlier on in thread and apologise for taking the piss, but maybe you could try and understand a bit better what people are posting about before calling someone an idiot?
    Last edited by Benny B; 26-03-2018 at 11:54 PM.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,724

    Default

    I felt no embarrassment - perhaps a bit of exasperation at your and luka's insistence that I must be a Peterson superfan just because I could see why people were inclined to side with him, or rather against Cathy Newman, following that utter farce of an interview. Yes, his response was dickish and immature, but TBH I think he had every right to be nonplussed and maybe a bit chagrined about the interview, and bracketing a mild pisstake like that with threats of rape and murder is ridiculous.

    And I never called you an idiot, I called your argument - "Some hateful people like this guy, which is a good reason in itself for me to hate him" - idiotic.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  4. #484

    Default

    A few of my friends (mid-20s) became fans of Peterson in the last year or so -- which seems to have resulted in them reading some books instead of playing video games all the time.

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

    And I never called you an idiot, I called your argument - "Some hateful people like this guy, which is a good reason in itself for me to hate him" - idiotic.
    Well, it's hardly a motto that I live by or anything, but it took me about 5 minutes to clock what this guy was about from seeing his followers and watching bits of his videos later confirmed it. I couldn't give a shit about whatever interesting ideas about psychology he might have, how polite he is or whether he was given a hard time by a woman in an interview.

    Probably best to move beyond this and get back to ripping the piss out of him until hopefully he goes away.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    A few of my friends (mid-20s) became fans of Peterson in the last year or so -- which seems to have resulted in them reading some books instead of playing video games all the time.
    Ah - but which books?

  7. #487

    Default

    Freud, Jung, Dostoyevsky and Solzhenitsyn have all been mentioned.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    7,277

    Default

    Interesting. So he's like the JK Rowling of the right? Facile, derivative, plainly idiotic, but has virtue in his popularisation of literacy?

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    oi luke, how's coming back to drugs been? what are the benefits? what's not so good? has having a lengthy withdrawal had an effect either way?

    you seem all antsy, or feeling stifled. is it related?

  10. #490
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15,322

    Default

    im off em again. i did it for i think a month? terrible idea.

  11. #491
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15,322

    Default

    had a couple of grim life things that made me give it a go but it was a silly idea. bit of dmt or acid is fine but anything else just takes over your life. the best bit was early on when i developed a convincing airtight theory that you are really an undercover journalist from vice magazine doing an expose of dissensus behind the scenes. proper stitch up job. guna make us look like a right bunch of cunts.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  13. #492
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15,322

    Default

    id love to be able to 'enjoy responsibly' but it's not in my nature, ive got a hearty appetite, so i have to be ascetic so it doesnt get the better of me. in theory life should be pretty straightforward but then you have all these weird self-destructive, self-sabotaging, self-defeating impulses to spice it up a bit and make it trickier.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:


  15. #493
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,724

    Default

    I had a minor revelation today:

    Jordan Peterson thinks he's Ravenclaw.
    His fans think he's Gryffindor.
    His detractors think he's Slytherin.
    But actually he's Hufflepuff.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 19-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  16. #494
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,914

    Default

    https://mobile.twitter.com/sannewman...61354956562434

    Enjoyed this thread on JP earlier and this article which was linked from it

    http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/essa...ons-mythology/

    (Both concern JPs shaky grasp of mythology and his preference for a disneyfied version of myths, suggesting that he's the creation of the same postmodernism he fancies himself opposed to)

  17. #495
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I had a minor revelation today:

    Jordan Peterson thinks he's Ravenclaw.
    His fans think he's Gryffindor.
    His detractors think he's Slytherin.
    But actually he's Hufflepuff.
    wait first we have to work out the mode of production of the wizarding world.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •