It's great when you're straight

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes mr tea, the beatles are responsible for charles manson, thats obviously what I was saying :rolleyes:

Well hang on a sec, a few pages ago you said

the appeal of the video is him supposedly "destroying", "demolishing" and even "raping" a "radical feminist" apparently, from a casual glance at youtube. This guy fuels this type of stuff. Certainly wouldnt post it on my fb wall, unless it was to point out he's a cock..

In what way, exactly, is he 'fuel[ing] this type of stuff'? As I've already pointed out, he remained polite to Newman throughout the interview in the face of her provocation and aggression, and afterwards publicly appealed for people to leave her alone. I'm struggling to see how the actions of some dickheads on Youtube therefore reflect badly on him or are somehow his fault.

I mention Manson and the Beatles because they 'fuelled' him, as far as he was concerned - that doesn't make them responsible for the actions of a totally independent actor.

Benny Bunter

this is no doubt tedious for all concerned so I'll try and keep it short

'fuelling' something is not the same as saying they are totally or directly responsible for something, which I obviously (well, it was to me at least) did not mean. JBP contributes to fuelling this "stuff" because he's a well known figure who espouses sexist, misogynist ideas in our culture. No, he is not particularly special in that regard, but I never said he was, though he does appear to be quite influential.

We've already been over the Newman interview I think. Just because JBP was polite on the surface, is a psychology professor, and didn't post rape threats on youtube, it doesn't change any of the above. Then he did post a creepy macho response on twitter. They always show their true colours.

The manson/beatles thing doesn't work because there is an actual, sane connection here between the two things in this case, unfortunately.

I'm truly sorry if i embarrassed you earlier on in thread and apologise for taking the piss, but maybe you could try and understand a bit better what people are posting about before calling someone an idiot?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I felt no embarrassment - perhaps a bit of exasperation at your and luka's insistence that I must be a Peterson superfan just because I could see why people were inclined to side with him, or rather against Cathy Newman, following that utter farce of an interview. Yes, his response was dickish and immature, but TBH I think he had every right to be nonplussed and maybe a bit chagrined about the interview, and bracketing a mild pisstake like that with threats of rape and murder is ridiculous.

And I never called you an idiot, I called your argument - "Some hateful people like this guy, which is a good reason in itself for me to hate him" - idiotic.

vimothy

yurp
A few of my friends (mid-20s) became fans of Peterson in the last year or so -- which seems to have resulted in them reading some books instead of playing video games all the time.

Benny Bunter

And I never called you an idiot, I called your argument - "Some hateful people like this guy, which is a good reason in itself for me to hate him" - idiotic.

Well, it's hardly a motto that I live by or anything, but it took me about 5 minutes to clock what this guy was about from seeing his followers and watching bits of his videos later confirmed it. I couldn't give a shit about whatever interesting ideas about psychology he might have, how polite he is or whether he was given a hard time by a woman in an interview.

Probably best to move beyond this and get back to ripping the piss out of him until hopefully he goes away.

droid

Interesting. So he's like the JK Rowling of the right? Facile, derivative, plainly idiotic, but has virtue in his popularisation of literacy?

sadmanbarty

oi luke, how's coming back to drugs been? what are the benefits? what's not so good? has having a lengthy withdrawal had an effect either way?

you seem all antsy, or feeling stifled. is it related?

luka

had a couple of grim life things that made me give it a go but it was a silly idea. bit of dmt or acid is fine but anything else just takes over your life. the best bit was early on when i developed a convincing airtight theory that you are really an undercover journalist from vice magazine doing an expose of dissensus behind the scenes. proper stitch up job. guna make us look like a right bunch of cunts.

luka

id love to be able to 'enjoy responsibly' but it's not in my nature, ive got a hearty appetite, so i have to be ascetic so it doesnt get the better of me. in theory life should be pretty straightforward but then you have all these weird self-destructive, self-sabotaging, self-defeating impulses to spice it up a bit and make it trickier.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had a minor revelation today:

Jordan Peterson thinks he's Ravenclaw.
His fans think he's Gryffindor.
His detractors think he's Slytherin.
But actually he's Hufflepuff.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I had a minor revelation today:

Jordan Peterson thinks he's Ravenclaw.
His fans think he's Gryffindor.
His detractors think he's Slytherin.
But actually he's Hufflepuff.

wait first we have to work out the mode of production of the wizarding world.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Definitely the worst thing JP does is use the word "bloody"

Uses it particularly when lecturing you like he's your dad "get oot of bloody bed and stand Oop straight!'

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i have family therapy on wednesday i would rather sit at home listen to talk sport much as they are loathsome.
When i ask: what is the object of this? how do we conceptualise things, what are the systems we are using to push things forward in desired directions, is applying coercion and redirection necessary?

i get a blank.

It is all premised on the loving nuclear family unit. which is kind of besides the point.

Last edited: