It's great when you're straight

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but you know he's the 'same philosophy as mao' so whatever m8.

Lol, because I literally said exactly that, didn't I.

Look "m8", don't swan in here like you're some great intellectual and then make a fool of yourself by pretending I've said whatever it is you'd like me to have said.

Then again, maybe you're angling for a job as interviewer on C4 News...

luka

Many people have written to me asking what they should read to properly educate themselves. Here is a list of books that I found particularly influential in my intellectual development. I wrote number thirteen, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief. It was published in 1999. It was heavily influenced by the authors of all the books listed below.

Trigger warning: These are the most terrifying books I have encountered.

In the lecture I included with this post (see below) I discuss the suffering inextricably associated with life, attributing some of it to tragedy, a necessary consequence of human limitation, and the remainder to evil, the conscious and malevolent attempt to worsen Being. I suggest that human beings can tolerate tragedy — even triumph over it, if they are guided by truth — but that evil is a far more insidious, subtle and damaging force.

1. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

2. 1984 – George Orwell

3. Road To Wigan Pier – George Orwell

4. Crime And Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky

5. Demons – Fyodor Dostoevsky

6. Beyond Good And Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche

7. Ordinary Men – Christopher Browning

8. The Painted Bird – Jerzy Kosinski

9. The Rape of Nanking – Iris Chang

10. Gulag Archipelago (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, & Vol. 3) – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

11. Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl

12. Modern Man in Search of A Soul – Carl Jung

13. Maps Of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief – Jordan B. Peterson

14. A History of Religious Ideas (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3) – Mircea Eliade

15. Affective Neuroscience – Jaak Panksepp

luka

Daniel • a year ago

I personally feel that Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 should be in the list too. I think it's up there with Orwell and Huxley really, but doesn't get much of a mention. This passage especially shows the dangerous train of thought behind censorship and 'offensive' works:

"Coloured people don't like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don't feel good about Uncle Tom's Cabin. Burn it. Someone's written a book on tobacco and cancer of the lungs? The cigarette people are weeping? Bum the book. Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag. Take your fight outside. Better yet, into the incinerator. Funerals are unhappy and pagan? Eliminate them, too. Five minutes after a person is dead he's on his way to the Big Flue, the Incinerators serviced by helicopters all over the country. Ten minutes after death a man's a speck of black dust. Let's not quibble over individuals with memoriams. Forget them. Burn them all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean."

Share ›

Noah Ahmed Daniel • 8 months ago

I agree. Fahrenheit 451 holds a special place in my heart as the first dystopian novel I ever read and, as a result, the one that sparked (heh heh) my interest in the genre and everything that flowed from that interest, which has had a profound impact on my life.

luka

but we shouldnt dismiss hes ideas out of hand or we'll push mr tea towards extemism lmao

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but we shouldnt dismiss hes ideas out of hand or we'll push mr tea towards extemism lmao

Also, one of these days I'm going to make a compilation of screenshots of all your online rants that end with the line "Kill them all".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's going to be a Zizek v Peterson public debate in October

The increasingly agitated Zizek's septum finally gives way five minutes in and a stream of bloody snot cascades down his front. Peterson's Protestant clean-freak conditioning kicks in and he has a panic attack. Interview terminates early as Zizek suffers cardiac arrest and Peterson passes out from hyperventilation.

luka

There's going to be a Zizek v Peterson public debate in October

freak show. the funny thing is theyre very alike in a lot of ways (as im sure 100,000 other people are currently observing, acerbically etc)

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Ranking the drugs

1. Magic Mushrooms
2. Ecstacy/MDMA
3. Weed
4. Cocaine
5. Ketamine

unfair to rank acid, as I've only done it once

2CB/2CI are too weird to even think about

not done skag or crack, sadly

ketamine is actually better (potentially) than coke, but also potentially a lot worse

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
2CB/2CI are too weird to even think about

Lol, if you think the 2C's are weird get back to me when you've done DXM, salvia or fly agaric.

Well done for underailing (rerailing?) the thread. There was a thread about ranking drugs many years ago but whoever started it wrote the title as "d r u g s" or something so it's unsearchable.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I was tempted to do DMT last weekend

In the end I didn't have to decide as the deal fell through

Was really not sure what to do