Speed Garage

craner

Beast of Burden
The link between speed garage and bassline is interesting and reminds me a bit of Northern Soul - Northerners keeping faith with the uptempo bits of the original sound, but extenuating and exaggerating it. Although, of course, the NS djs did this with old records, while the bassline crowd created their own new sound (while the Southerners did their own thing with rare groove and garage rap/grime).

Never really developed a taste for bassline, myself, or grime. I got stuck in the dying days of UKG in the summer of 2001. Talking of which, these two videos offer an interesting comparison:

Scott Garcia banger, from the early, humble days.

DJ Pied Piper chart buster from the twilight days, almost like a eulogy for UKG after the London sound had sweeped Britain and was about to be eclipsed by So Solid and then, terminally, grime.

craner

Beast of Burden
I love the Pied Piper tune, btw. I find it almost unbearably poignant, now. It feels like the last fun, carefree summer we ever had.

craner

Beast of Burden
Everyone talks about the Junglist elements of Speed Garage, correctly, but you can't neglect the huge influence of Todd Edwards. The sweet, chopped-up vocal, synthetic soul element was a major ingredient from the very beginning, and was probably the main thing that fed into the 2-step and 'UKG' chartbusting styles that came out of it.

Benny Bunter

Everyone talks about the Junglist elements of Speed Garage, correctly, but you can't neglect the huge influence of Todd Edwards. The sweet, chopped-up vocal, synthetic soul element was a major ingredient from the very beginning, and was probably the main thing that fed into the 2-step and 'UKG' chartbusting styles that came out of it.

Yeah u cant deny the US influence. Ukg wouldnt have existed if not for todd, armand van helden and stuff on strictly rhythm like logic 'blues for you' and harddrive 'deep inside'.

PiLhead

Sticking with the sugar theme, another AvH monster although not quite as immense as "Spin Spin" (seem to remember once listening to the Sneaker Pimps original and it was so nothing by comparison)

Then there's "Professional Widow" remix....

PiLhead

UKG that's very close to USG. Speed garage that isn't that speedy.

Things you learn! When you check discogs, that is. Half of Smokin Beats = Neil Rumney. Neil Rumney = NRG, as in "I Need Your Lovin'" and "He Never Lost His Hardcore".

And they say there's no such thing as...

Last edited:

PiLhead

play those vibes play those vibes play those vibes play those vibes

Loved this for years, never realised it was Van Helden on the mix, AGAIN

The breakdown at 3 mins is sensational and then when the bendy rubber-bandy bass sets off again.....

luka

Just as an aside that nuyorican soul album was a lowpoint of the lateish '90s

Last edited:

PiLhead

Just as an aside that nuyorican soul album was a lowpoint of the lateish '90s

you're right there. but armand makes silk purse out of a sow's arse!

yes the Nuyorican name was so tainted i would never heard that rmx at all if not on one of the first speed garage comps

luka

He does. Like you say original spin sounds sugar not up to much. Even the name sneaker pimps let's yiu know nothing good is gunna out of that

craner

Beast of Burden

LOL. I read somewhere that Armand was a frustrated jungle producer who couldn't get a look in with the London mafia, which is how he invented speed garage.

I mean, he has as a good a claim as anyone. Probably the best.

But, ultimately, Todd E won the day.

And it's irrelevant anyway, because the sound and energy of London town made this.

CrowleyHead

You people really comparing Armand and Todd like there's some sort of competition, they're two different fields. Armand is Todd Terry's spiritual son, Edwards wants to be Dope & Vega.

Also Luka "Build A Wall" with his anti-Hispanic bias! And people pretending anyone in the US cares about Jungle! YOU'RE NOT SLICK!