Speed Garage

Benny Bunter

This blogs got loads of old articles from mixmag and the like, makes interesting reading https://realspeedgarageblog.wordpress.com

Definitely think that, aside from the jungly basslines and samples, the long breakdowns were one of the main elements that made speed garage stand out from us house (and the 2step that came after it largely).

luka

This blogs got loads of old articles from mixmag and the like, makes interesting reading https://realspeedgarageblog.wordpress.com

Definitely think that, aside from the jungly basslines and samples, the long breakdowns were one of the main elements that made speed garage stand out from us house (and the 2step that came after it largely).

Wow at this opinion
There are a few weak exceptions, where the music is already starting to gnaw off its own good foot, most notably Roy Davis Jr.’s abysmal “Gabrielle”–somebody should do the world a favor and salvage the horn riff right now

Benny Bunter

The link between speed garage and bassline is interesting and reminds me a bit of Northern Soul - Northerners keeping faith with the uptempo bits of the original sound, but extenuating and exaggerating it. Although, of course, the NS djs did this with old records, while the bassline crowd created their own new sound (while the Southerners did their own thing with rare groove and garage rap/grime).

This is a great mix for those wanting to fill in the gaps in the, largely forgotten and undocumented, northern nuum history from speed garage to jackin. You probably won't recognise hardly any of the names and tunes here, I know i didn't.

01. Fatima Rainey – Hey (Mount Rushmore’s Deep Vocal Mix)
02. Ladycop – To Be Real
03. Mass Medium – Got To Have It
04. Roger Ruff – Do Ya (Great Bass Mix)
05. DJ Pooch – Let The Bass Roll (Funky Mix)
06. Nu Force – When The Morning Comes (DJ Flavours Club mix)
07. Gordon Matthews – Itza Trumpet Thing
08. Robin S – Midnight (Ultimix 68)
09. Sara Parker – My Love Is Deep (Sharp Vocal Mix)
10. Silvio Ecomo – Uprising (Speed Garage Mix)
11. EEDB Vs Flirtations – Time (TnG Mix)
12. Funk Junkeez – Got Funk (Heavy On Da Bass Mix)
13. The ‘701’ Track
14. Agro DJ’s – Run To Me
15. Clubbit – All I Wanna Do
16. Celetia- Rewind (Rob Bee RMX)
17. GB Experience – Gimmie The Bass
18. Jonestown – Sweet Thang (Mustard Mix)
19. B15 Project & Mr Vegas – Birmingham Crew
20. 99 Allstars – Chemical Generation (Upstate J60 Vocal Experience)
21. Twin Town – Rock It
22. Twin Town – Risin’
23. Philly Station ft. Tammi Wright – Mon Supa Love (Agent Sumo RMX)
24. Ruff Driverz – Deeper Love (Ruff Mix)
25. Summer Junkies - Hey Y’all
26. Devoted - Gotta Have (Antoine & Mad Mark RMX)
27. Miss Peppermint – Let Me Hear The DJ
28. 2 Eivissa – Move Your Body
29. Fake – Outstanding (Perqx Disco Mix)
30. Luthor Vandross – Never Too Much (RMX)
31. Summer Junkies – Basslines Live Forever

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
ILM LOL

I was interested to see what Luka would say about this stuff, cos I remember him/you saying you hated how 'beery' jungle got. To me this speed garage stuff is the jump up jungle of garage. (And Bassline is the jump up DNB I guess!)

Last edited:

luka

ILM LOL

I was interested to see what Luka would say about this stuff, cos I remember him/you saying you hated how 'beery' jungle got. To me this speed garage stuff is the jump up jungle of garage. (And Bassline is the jump up DNB I guess!)

A lot of my friends got into garage in 96 (not this stuff though) I wasn't that into it till two step tbh. Sounds better to me now than it did then. Seemed a bit moronic at the time.

Benny Bunter

That opinion is from an American I love music contributior

ah right its Matos. I don't think he's been on ILM for many years though.

I haven't heard that particular compilation but, with a few exceptions, I'm not really the biggest Tuff Jam fan tbh. I can sorta see why he was a bit underwhelmed in that review and prefers the rowdier stuff like Ripgroove and what have you. Gabrielle is all time though.

Benny Bunter

ILM LOL

If there has to be a 'jump up jungle of garage', I'd say it would be the later breakbeat garage stuff like Zinc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I prefer reading an opinion like that (re gabrielle) actually, makes a difference from the norm.

Think the first time I heard gabrielle was in an EZ set and it stuck out for being so quiet and mellow. I can relate to how that might make it sound a bit limp, particularly surrounded by Tuff Jam tunes.

Benny Bunter

Given that Gabrielle doesn't have a kick on the 2 and 4, I'd argue it's the first 2step track.

according to discogs Tina Moore - Never Gonna Let You Go (Kelly G Bump-N-Go Mix) came out in 1995, Gabrielle in 1996.

Kind of interesting that the Americans didn't really pick up on 2step, given that they invented it

sadmanbarty

according to discogs Tina Moore - Never Gonna Let You Go (Kelly G Bump-N-Go Mix) came out in 1995, Gabrielle in 1996.

Kind of interesting that the Americans didn't really pick up on 2step, given that they invented it

Are you sure? Seems like the original is from 1995 and the remix from 1997:

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Moore-Never-Gonna-Let-You-Go/release/3143744

https://www.discogs.com/Tina-Moore-Never-Gonna-Let-You-Go/release/1197826

Amazing if you're right though.

Benny Bunter

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno how often these things really are 'invented' by one producer, wouldn't be surprised if loads of people have the same idea at the same time and its just one tune gets released first...

In any case, the the 2-step beat is just sped up hip-hop beat (which ofc was based on samples of funk/soul)

Maybe there's something interesting to be said re: this vs. the disco beat found in most house music.