Speed Garage

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That playlist I linked before was from Niche - did speed garage carry on in the midlands/north, ultimately to evolve into bassline/jackin?

luka

Didn't 'Flat Eric' get play on the garage pirates? Or is that some bollocks I invented?

Yeah and in the clubs too. Firstor second time I went in club space/club eq this is what was playing. Mind you it was after the speed garage period.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

That playlist I linked before was from Niche - did speed garage carry on in the midlands/north, ultimately to evolve into bassline/jackin?

Type 'niche sheffield' into mixcloud and there you'll get lots of pre-bassline sets from the early 2000's. Lots of speed garage, but also organ house and other 4x4 stuff.

Benny Bunter

My first proper contribution to dissensus was a speed garage/4x4 mix, seemed to go down well at the time
Some of my faves from this era

A vs B - Ripped in 2

G.O.D. (aka Jeremy Sylvester) - Watch ya bass bins

Groove in motion - Electric runnings

Just 4 U London - ?

GI Sly - Da scientist

DC Sensation - Lets get it on

Groove Connection 2 - Club Lonely

Benny Bunter

This Rinse FM special show by Tom Shorterz/Cause and Affect is probably the best Speed Garage set I've ever heard. They are true speed garage scholars, just look at this tracklist 🔥🔥🔥

1. Smile Orange ‎– More Than A Million
2. Double 99 - Jump Jump (R.I.P Productions)
3. 8th Wonder Featuring DJ Marco V. & Benjamin ‎– Deeper
4. Dangerous Dubz Vol 2 - Don't Hold Back (Jeremy Sylvester)
5. Sly - Badbwoy (Slippin EP)
6. Northbank - Musik
7. G.O.D 4 - Watch Ya Bass Bins
8. Debbie Malone vs The Billionaire Boys - Rescue Me
9. Sub Kutz - It's The way
10. Tail Spin - All Massive
11. KCC + Ty Holden ‎– International Soundbwoy Pt2
12. The Inside (Sol Bros Mash Up Dub By Sol Brothers)
13. Rhythm Construction EP (White Label)
14. Nu-Vybez ‎– Ultra-Funkula
15. R.I.P Productions - Buggsy's theme
16. Roc Steady - Don't Make Me Wait
17. New Horizons – Scrap Iron Dubz
18. System X - Red Or Blue
19. G.O.D - Unlimited (Toxic Dub)
20. Lisa Stansfield - the Line (Loop Da Loop)
21. A Questions 4 You - Bonus Bass
22. R.I.P - Work It Out
23. Ultimate Seduction - A Nightmare Walking
24. Volcano & Tee - No Gal Tune

craner

Beast of Burden
One of the things I loved about this era was the sheer dizzy weirdness and joy of seeing names like Lisa Stansfield popping up in hardcore underground London mixes. Remember that Bette Midler remix all the garage heads loved? Bette Midler!

PiLhead

I think speed garage might be the ultimate music for dancing, for me - it keeps the vibe and the itchy-percussive / texture-y elements of jungle (oh and the monster bass too). But it injects all of that into the slinky grooves and sultry feverishness of house

And the pace of speed garage is just right

2step is gorgeous but it's actually a bit slow - you have to be a really good dancer to be adequate to its rhythmic demands