Stormzy

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I recommend posting images using the [ img ] tags, cos otherwise you end up with a shrunken version like the above

stormzy-1.jpg

Reminds me of

2d8632ec1967b44e2e72333a6d6f0600.500x500x1.jpg

Insofar as it's going for a sort of Renaissance meets Gangsta Rap thing

rubberdingyrapids

def a gangsta rap type thing.

its slick...

good marketing really.

skepta, stormzy, theyve figured out how to position themselves.

makes me think of this scene from the wire -
hotel9.jpg
lol at the reduction

Last edited:

forclosure

heard two two tunes on the album

that Blinded by your grace pt 1 sound very Chance the Rapper/Ultralight beam

and the blatant stabs at nostalgia by having the Ghetts/Bashy clip,Jenny Francis and Crazy Titch on there

also lol at the sobering fact that Titch don't know what a hashtag is

rubberdingyrapids

the single big for yr boots is the best thing on here IMO
some other good tracks, but i find it a bit uneven. saw one reviewer compare it to kanos albums, stormzys album is better/more polished than kanos, but theres still something missing here. or maybe i just dont like stormzy. theres something i dont quite buy about him, not sure what. hes like a 2nd tier MC with a good talent for songs.

rubberdingyrapids

ok.

thing about this one its obv trying to have it both ways, stormzy as roadman, and stormzy as sensitive rapper too. not sure which one really has all that much gravitas but there you go.

hes a big fan of that dizzee yelp thing too i noticed.

(never listened to a stormzy mixtape btw so no idea how this compares).

muser

I honestly think this album wouldn't be what it is, those gospel bits, without Life of Pablo, as much as everything is justified as a "who really is Stormzy??", just sounds like a weak attempt at doing something that sounds big. He seems like a nice guy so I'm happy for his success but he's massively overrated.

rubberdingyrapids

I honestly think this album wouldn't be what it is, those gospel bits, without Life of Pablo, as much as everything is justified as a "who really is Stormzy??", just sounds like a weak attempt at doing something that sounds big. He seems like a nice guy so I'm happy for his success but he's massively overrated.

its more post-chance the rapper than pablo id say, but also post-wretch 32, and basically every other rapper who doesnt just wanna be a rapper.

i think i might blame ed sheeran too.

CrowleyHead

(never listened to a stormzy mixtape btw so no idea how this compares).

He doesn't have a mixtape actually, he has an EP which is basically rap and now this.

The thing I've always found amusing about Stormzy being in grime is that he really isn't. When he does Eskimo Dance, he does his song verses or whatever but he rarely if ever does pirates or any other DJ sets... Yes, he freestyles to Functions and Serious, but I've seen Youngs Teflon do similarly and at least Y.O. once was a grime MC.

Honestly, Stormzy's a rapper who is cashing in on grime a la Tinie Tempah really, he has nothing to do with grime. But he can actually make functional music outside of grime's demands, which is to function as live spontaneous event. If we're being honest, 88% of grime as recorded music is expendable or shit and not actual songs... Even BITC is more Self-Produced Documentation than Album in the traditional sense. So on one hand, Stormzy's going to have a far better album than anyone in grime can do. On the other hand, it's not really grime.

rubberdingyrapids

basically, this album is a pop album.
it feels so calculated and polished, you can tell every moment had about 15 people go over it before it ended up on the album.
its like the kind of album rick ross would make if he were a south london grime artist.
maybe im being contrarian as im just tired of everyone being so pro-stormz, but im also suspicious of how indie stormzy's #merky label is.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I would never listen to a grime album tbh fuck that

lol

this is actually my attitude though

The Wiley album held my attention for about four tracks and then it just gets so samey.

Dunno what it is, its music made for fast mixing, passing the mic, etc.

rubberdingyrapids

the best grime tracks tend to sound like they were banged out quite quickly (though the skepta album didnt, which might be why i find it harder work, its deeper, but not as much fun). theres something about it being recorded for posterity that most of the time doesnt quite work. not yet anyway. its probably a transitional thing due to the roots of this stuff never really being about recordings.

CrowleyHead

Again, Grime isn't technically song-based music forms so its continued expectation to shoehorn itself into being good album music is tedious. Wiley is not a 'good' songwriter, his best songs are just umbrellas for bars he's spitting on radio a la Dancehall.

Skepta's album sucks, Wiley's album sucks, because these are tunes and they are fucking shit at making tunes. Stormzy makes tunes and pretends they're grime which they're not, and that's fine.

It's telling I have dozens of friends who like Stormzy in music crit world who believe grime is just noise. Which is true. Grime transcends musical expectations in its pure form. Stormzy just makes good music, sound music, right on, good for him, I'm glad.

luka

This is true.not only is there no good grime albums there's barely any good grime songs. Grime is live vocals over instrumentals.