Wave Music

Leo

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/08/11/soundcloud-wave-music/

Every once in a while, a genre will rise from the murky musical swamp of sounds and styles and grab you by the short and curlies, and right now, that genre is wave music. Based largely on Soundcloud for now, it contains elements of dubstep, jungle, house, techno and hip-hop, but it has merged into a distinct new genre.

A DIY community born on the internet that’s gradually taking up IRL space across Europe and the US, wave music is on the rise. Chances are it’s in your musical DNA already: wave sits in the venn overlap of pretty much all of our electronic and hip hop collections and playlists, yet it’s something distinct and special.

The spacy 808 beat swag of trap, the subby rumbles and halftime pace of dubstep, the dense emotion of sad boy rap, the icy melancholy of witch house, the sci-fi savoir faire of instrumental grime, the loose formula-free experimentalism of the LA beat scene and the synthetic aesthetic of vapor wave… If any of those genres have touched you, wave will, too.

feeling rather ambivalent about this, but then again i'm an old geezer, out of touch, stuck in my ways, etc.

am i wrong?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Doesn't "wave" make about as much sense as a genre name as "nu", "core" or "post"?

And wasn't there some bollocks thing called "scene" a few years ago? With a similarly trash-compactor-esque bit-of-this, bit-of-that definition? Making music that's an exact arithmetic average of what YouTube users have been listening to over the last decade or so doesn't really constitute a genre, as such.

Or, more concisely, what CH said.

Trillhouse

This is just blazin' downtempo version 30.7

Since there's been rap music there's been an instrumental version of the scene running alongside it like an awkward younger brother trying to hang with the older boys. Lets not pretend this is anything new.