Thread: OJ: Made in America

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OJ: Made in America

For Brits, this is available on iPlayer for the next 16 days. I'd thoroughly recommend it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...america-part-1

I knew basically nothing about OJ Simpson and the murder trial before watching this. All I knew was 'if the glove doesn't fit...', the 'pursuit' of the white Bronco, and some jokes Eminem made on 'Role Model'.

Even as someone with little to no interest in American Football (and sports in general, really), watching OJ play is amazing:

Actually, although I rarely watch sport live, I am a sucker for sports highlights and I love sports documentaries and books (or at least, the ones I've watched and read). I feel impoverished by my lack of passion for sport. But this is by the by.

i remember watching the live police chase of the white ford bronco (they cut into the ny knicks basketball game to broadcast the live chase via news helicopter) and the trial. the country came to a halt that afternoon, people stopped working and gathered in office conference rooms to watch the verdict being read live on TV (this was pre-internet days). the reaction (in my office and elsewhere) was universal: every white person was taken aback and every person of color cheered. al sharpton then led some type of march thru midtown manhattan and white office workers across the city panicked, thinking there would be race riots in the street or something. nothing happened, of course. crazy shit.
    Last edited by Leo; 05-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.

His book is amazing.

I was just wondering if there's been any attempt to link Simpson's actions with head trauma and:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...sualty/434925/

Watched up to part five last night. The murders were staggeringly brutal, weren't they? He practically cut Nicole's head off.

I wonder if, insofar as any one incident could be the 'start' of the weird celebrity obsessed, reality/TV nexus we now find ourselves in, if the Simpson affair was it? Of course it happened in LA, where crime and celebrity and media are so liable to collide.

i feel im having a sort of american-current-affairs/american-cultural-history aversion right now, even as this is the point i probably need to look at it the most.
    im trumped out. and i havent even been paying as much attention as some of you on this site.
    but i will prob watch this all the same.