Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Films about music

its quite good, but no saturday night fever. its more about work and fame than the music IMO.

Ok, the suspense is over. This is the greatest film ever made about music, and (possibly) my favourite film of all time.

...Sainte Colombe asks Marais if he finally understands the purpose of music. Marais naively says "God." He's wrong, because "God can speak." Sainte Colombe makes him try again, and Marais goes through an exhaustive list of guesses: love, the loss of love, silence, glory...But he still doesn't get it. Marais begins to well up, admitting he doesn't know. Maybe it's better left to the dead. Sainte Colombe lights up. "You're getting warmer."

This prompts Marais's epiphany: "A little tune for those who can't speak any longer. For lost children. For softening a shoemaker's hammer. For the time before we even lived or breathed or saw the light."
    A remarkable meditation on, loss, grief & regret and the intangible power of music.

Presumably many of you have seen it? Its hardly obscure and was pretty big news back in the 90's.

Decent review here: http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-...ny-differently

i just watched Miles Ahead this week
    it was entertaining - it won't change your life, but worth a spin
    don cheadle is very good

Dunno if this fits in, dunno if it's good, but I thought I'd chuck it in here cos you never know

the best films about music might actually be richard lesters

on the other hand, i think the best films about music would actually not be narrative cinema, but art cinema, where images are used more abstractly, rather than to tell a story, ie. images used in the same way as music is played, not bound to narrative necessities and limitations. im struggling to think of a specific example though . or have i just described music videos?