Tunes that Spawned a Thousand Imitators

DJ Zinc changed a lot in Garage after 138 trek and 'Hold On' came out:
It has been said that Jesse's 'On & On' was influential because it was simplistic and encouraged people to make House because it wasn't that great a track and if it could be a hit it wouldn't be too hard to do better. 'Hold On' might not have been simple to produce but it was by no means Zincs best garage bassline. Running on the spot breakbeat eventually became obsolete after the likes of Pulse X and loads of other good tunes from Grime & Dubstep producers, but arguably without Zinc that wouldn't have happened. Ditto So Solid's Dilemma too come to think of it. Masterstepz 'melody' was one that was popular but didn't spawn overt immitators.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Think we discussed this before maybe but the following tunes follow a line starting from Immigrant Song (or whatever they nicked that from)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's interesting, never made the link between AssaultOnPrecict13 and Immigrant Song.

Nirvana's 'Scentless Apprentice' is pretty Immigrant Songy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's interesting, never made the link between AssaultOnPrecict13 and Immigrant Song.
I don't think I would have noticed if JC himself hadn't said it... but when it's said it makes perfect sense right? As an aside what's with all this "x says thanks to y for this helpful post" business?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Spekig of I Feel Love - the most blatant rip-off might be this one... Though I have bollywood version which is runs it pretty close.

Last edited:

firefinga

Resulted in gazillions of imitations, known as "Eurodance" on the continent. Defined the European charts (to be exact, the German charts) well into the late 90s. The recipe: keep it in the 115-130 BPM range, use some vocal samples from 60s/70s soul records (female singers), a mandatory Rap part (funnily enough often done by some black exGI hobby rapper stationed in Germany. I guess it was mainly done to give the whole thing some "street cred"), add somewhat cheesy synth melodies/strings.

Germany's charts were full of that stuff well into the late 1990s when it was being eclipsed by those drawing board boy- (and girl) bands and Puff Daddy style cheese-rap.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the 1st Sabbath record, obviously

the 1st 4 Sabbath LPs actually, but I guess you'd accord the 1st one the most historical prominence in this sense