Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tunes that Spawned a Thousand Imitators

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post

obvs. pulse x and acid tracks genre-creating equivalent, i suppose. (no idea if there is an even more foundational tune to digital dancehall in reality - but if you inspire king tubby to do something different, then odds on that you've created something pretty new)
    http://www.clashmusic.com/features/u...ital-dancehall

'Not the first digital track in JA history – Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry began those experiments in the early 70s – the astonishing success of ‘(Under Mi) Sleng Teng’ marked a line in the sand. The usual coteries of studio musicians were out, and digital technology was in.

It’s perhaps overstepping the mark to suggest that without the ‘Sleng Teng’ riddim digital dancehall wouldn’t exist. The movement was already in its primordial stage, and simply needed a spark, an ignition point – Wayne Smith supplied it, and in doing so lit a trail which extends beyond ragga, beyond jungle and into grime and dubstep.'

interesting, thanks

Certainly can't have been popular among many session musicians in Jamaica. I remember reading all about the backlash at the time, but frustratingly I can't find the link now...

Tempo, is, arguably a more important tune.

Actually I was gonna say that I always liked that one more. All-time classic, endlessly playable.

I thought you were making a sort of philosophical point there, droid.

I can't imagine Sleng Ting ever losing its power to spark a dance.

Just in terms of it being the first really big digital tune.

DJ Zinc changed a lot in Garage after 138 trek and 'Hold On' came out:

It has been said that Jesse's 'On & On' was influential because it was simplistic and encouraged people to make House because it wasn't that great a track and if it could be a hit it wouldn't be too hard to do better. 'Hold On' might not have been simple to produce but it was by no means Zincs best garage bassline. Running on the spot breakbeat eventually became obsolete after the likes of Pulse X and loads of other good tunes from Grime & Dubstep producers, but arguably without Zinc that wouldn't have happened. Ditto So Solid's Dilemma too come to think of it. Masterstepz 'melody' was one that was popular but didn't spawn overt immitators.

An obvious one. I'm new here by the way, so hello!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

That's another one of those first AND best examples.

Another one based on You Really Got Me

Think we discussed this before maybe but the following tunes follow a line starting from Immigrant Song (or whatever they nicked that from)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

That's interesting, never made the link between AssaultOnPrecict13 and Immigrant Song.

Nirvana's 'Scentless Apprentice' is pretty Immigrant Songy.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    That's interesting, never made the link between AssaultOnPrecict13 and Immigrant Song.
    I don't think I would have noticed if JC himself hadn't said it... but when it's said it makes perfect sense right? As an aside what's with all this "x says thanks to y for this helpful post" business?