Thread: Is voting for the far-right a form of gambling?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is voting for the far-right a form of gambling?

This might be incoherent or bleeding obvious, it's just some observations tied together to make one big generalisation. I'm always very interested in thoughtful feedback https://infinite-coincidence.com/201...m-of-gambling/

i suppose if i were you id contribute to the forum a bit more and chill out with the self-promotion. just saying like.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i suppose if i were you id contribute to the forum a bit more and chill out with the self-promotion. just saying like.
    Fair point well made.

Thanks for listening. Welcome aboard etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

While there are several motives for voting for right wing parties, and skimming through your link I'd say it's more referring to the right wing populists (of course we have to deal with blurry lines here) of late, I wouldn't call it "gambling". Yes, there are clearly many people pretty desperate out there voting for those populists simply bc they have the impression their needs are not being met by any other parties/politicians right now - the (in)famous "deplorables". They might be naive to some extent, or clearly vote for the "lesser evil", at least according to their personal situation.

But a great deal of those populists' voters are negative, fear-ridden people with a basically destructive mindset.

This seems as good a thread to take the temperature of national populism.

Austrian rejection of Hofer, Dutch rejection of Wilders, AFD falling to pieces in Germany, Le Pen, I dont think will succeed in France.

Some of these have been close, but Brexit/Trump seem to be outliers pushed over the line by some fairly special circumstances.

Centrists and the EU have a chance now to get their shit together before the climate crisis really hits. Defeating fascism means pulling the centre to the left, and that falls to all of us.

Brits need to hold their nose and vote for labour and greens despite the legitimate concerns over both.