Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

i still enjoy watching shit movies, tho.

My favorite Coppola film is One from the Heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

My whole life seems to be telling people why films they think are shit are actually great.

What are the most unfairly maligned movies craner?

Dont get him started. You can just read the eurotrash film thread. Itll be easier

I don't like the cohen brothers either although i like kurosawa very much and i like lynch too for that matter

One from the Heart. New York, New York. Sorcerer. Goliath and the Vampires. Rabid Dogs. Danger: Diabolik. Planet of the Vampires. Cannibal Holocaust. Gone to Earth. Special Mission Lady Chaplin. Stage Fright. Stalag 17. Stromboli. Le Notti Blanche. Moonstruck. Big Wednesday. Hercules Unchained. Hitch-hike. Suspicion. Groundhog Day.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I like kurosawa very much and i like lynch too for that matter
    I like Kurosawa and Lynch too, it's just I happen to dislike many of their fans

David Cronenberg was awesome until entering the 1990s. In fact it's shocking how he got the most recognition for his shittiest move "A History Of Violence"

Everyone mentioned here has done good work. Crowley is catastrophically wrong about Carpenter. Prince of Darkness rivals any of the great Italian horrors and the thing is one of the greatest monster films of all time. Halloween is massively overrated though.

Kubrick had one of the great runs of modern cinema - Strangelove/2001/Clockwork Orange/Barry Lyndon/Shining.

Not such of a fan of Lynch but he has his moments.

Is Carpenter in the "respectable Canon" at all?

I always thought of him as a very good genre director and can't really remember those typical "canon guys" (=the "respectable movie critics") bigging up Carpenter, either.
    Last edited by firefinga; 24-05-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    One from the Heart. New York, New York. Sorcerer. Goliath and the Vampires. Rabid Dogs. Danger: Diabolik. Planet of the Vampires. Cannibal Holocaust. Gone to Earth. Special Mission Lady Chaplin. Stage Fright. Stalag 17. Stromboli. Le Notti Blanche. Moonstruck. Big Wednesday. Hercules Unchained. Hitch-hike. Suspicion. Groundhog Day.
    I've suffered the misfortune of being forcefed some of these and they are indescribably awful.

Lol, they're all amazing. He hasn't seen any of them. I made him watch Nightmare City once, maybe a bit of Rabid Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Lol, they're all amazing. He hasn't seen any of them. I made him watch Nightmare City once, maybe a bit of Rabid Dogs.
    What about that sword and sandle thing you were watching when me and jim were round?