I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

luka

I don't like the cohen brothers either although i like kurosawa very much and i like lynch too for that matter

craner

Beast of Burden
One from the Heart. New York, New York. Sorcerer. Goliath and the Vampires. Rabid Dogs. Danger: Diabolik. Planet of the Vampires. Cannibal Holocaust. Gone to Earth. Special Mission Lady Chaplin. Stage Fright. Stalag 17. Stromboli. Le Notti Blanche. Moonstruck. Big Wednesday. Hercules Unchained. Hitch-hike. Suspicion. Groundhog Day.

firefinga

David Cronenberg was awesome until entering the 1990s. In fact it's shocking how he got the most recognition for his shittiest move "A History Of Violence"

droid

Everyone mentioned here has done good work. Crowley is catastrophically wrong about Carpenter. Prince of Darkness rivals any of the great Italian horrors and the thing is one of the greatest monster films of all time. Halloween is massively overrated though.

Kubrick had one of the great runs of modern cinema - Strangelove/2001/Clockwork Orange/Barry Lyndon/Shining.

Not such of a fan of Lynch but he has his moments.

firefinga

Is Carpenter in the "respectable Canon" at all?

I always thought of him as a very good genre director and can't really remember those typical "canon guys" (=the "respectable movie critics") bigging up Carpenter, either.

Last edited:

luka

One from the Heart. New York, New York. Sorcerer. Goliath and the Vampires. Rabid Dogs. Danger: Diabolik. Planet of the Vampires. Cannibal Holocaust. Gone to Earth. Special Mission Lady Chaplin. Stage Fright. Stalag 17. Stromboli. Le Notti Blanche. Moonstruck. Big Wednesday. Hercules Unchained. Hitch-hike. Suspicion. Groundhog Day.

I've suffered the misfortune of being forcefed some of these and they are indescribably awful.

craner

Beast of Burden
Lol, they're all amazing. He hasn't seen any of them. I made him watch Nightmare City once, maybe a bit of Rabid Dogs.

luka

Lol, they're all amazing. He hasn't seen any of them. I made him watch Nightmare City once, maybe a bit of Rabid Dogs.

What about that sword and sandle thing you were watching when me and jim were round?

droid

Some great picks from Craner there - though for a moment I thought he meant Lou Ferrigno's Cannon Hercules, and now Im underwhelmed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I like Carpenter too, even if just for The Fog, The Thing, Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China. Fantastic and original genre movies.

craner

Beast of Burden
Nah, Hercules Unchained is a thrilling early Bava peplum entry. I will grant that this sort of thing is an acquired taste.

craner

Beast of Burden
What about that sword and sandle thing you were watching when me and jim were round?

That was Giorgio Ferroni's The Trojan War. Yeah, that had a good reputation amongst the fans of this stuff but it was a bit static and overwhelmed by the budget for me. Had none of the cheap luxury, lurid sexuality, proto-psyhcedelic visyals, mad history and genre-hopping of the best of this kind. I ought to do a post on the Eurotrash thread about this stuff, as I've seen and loved so much of it.

droid

I have a dissenting opinion on the fog, just cant get behind ghost pirates. Great OST though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not seen a single one of those but for Groundhog Day, which I didn't realise was hated. I love it, in spite of Andi McDowell. (Who has to be a drip, really, for the mismatch to work, even if the romance ultimately doesn't.) Can't think of a conceit that better captures the feeling of depression. Not that the world is empty but that you are trapped in some tiny corner of it.

droid

Not seen a single one of those but for Groundhog Day, which I didn't realise was hated. I love it, in spite of Andi McDowell. (Who has to be a drip, really, for the mismatch to work, even if the romance ultimately doesn't.) Can't think of a conceit that better captures the feeling of depression. Not that the world is empty but that you are trapped in some tiny corner of it.

I cant help but watch it whenever its on TV (yeah I know).